Simply Healthy Family may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Whether you are a baker or someone who just loves pastries so much, we all know the importance of a perfectly baked bread. One of the criteria of a well-baked bread is a consistent texture and the absence of lumps. This can be achieved by selecting the finest ingredients, following instructions, patience, and using the right tools such as the best flour sifter.
|Rank||Product Name||Image||Editor Score|||
|#3||Cook N Home Stainless Steel 8-Cup Flour Sifter||82/100||REVIEW|
|#4||Norpro Battery Operated Sifter||80/100||REVIEW|
|#5||Scandicrafts Stainless Steel 10.25 Inch Fine Mesh Flour Sifter (1, 10.5)||77/100||REVIEW|
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Reasons To Use A Flour Sifter
A plate of ice cream and a flour sifter on the table
If you are a newbie in baking or just not that meticulous in the quality of your cakes, you might think that a flour sifter is just a luxury item such as a long slot toaster. But it is a very important tool due to the following reasons.
It removes foreign and unwanted materials
Just like rice, wheat, or any other grains, it is inevitable for flour to be contaminated with foreign objects such as debris, and much worse, bugs. Just for this reason alone, I should have convinced you to get a flour sifter right away. Sifting flour rids us of potentially harmful objects that might get mixed with our cake.
It aerates the flour
To simply put, sifting the flour rids it of lumps and creates a fine, light texture. Reaching this quality of flour texture ensured that your pastry, especially vital in baking cookies, is smooth, finesse, and delicately crumbled.
It levels your measurements
The weight and density of flour changes and vary depending on how it is stored, how long was it stored, and the climate of the area. For example, when it is humid, the flour tends to pack more densely, so when you measure it, it might be heavier than what the scale shows. Sifting flour eliminates that and ensures accurate measurements all the time.
For a video that explains this further, click here.
It helps in mixing flour with other ingredients
When you need to mix flour with cocoa, baking powder, corn starch, and other ingredients, using a sifter ensure that all of them are mixed well together. Rather than use a beater or a fork, use a sifter to create a perfectly blended mix.
Choosing The Right Kind Of Sifter
a flour sifter on the table
It doesn’t have just any flour sifter. You need to look for the one that suits your needs and baking demands. To ensure that you get the best flour sifter, take a look at these factors
Size and capacity
The size of sifters ranges from 3-cup to 8-cup capacity. This depends on the volume of the flour you need to sift and use for baking. Although, you can never go wrong with choosing a big capacity sifter since you can still use it even for small quantities.
The safest way to go is choosing stainless steel, although aluminum, plastic, and other materials are also available in the market. Stainless steel is resistant to rust, lightweight yet sturdy, and most of the time safe in the dishwasher. If you prefer the strainer type, go stainless steel all the way.
Manual or Electric
At first glance, you might think that electrically powered flour sifters are the obvious choice. You are not exactly wrong, but there are people that like to feel the grains of wheat while it being sifted thus the availability of manual flour sifters. There are no glaring advantage or disadvantage between the two. The electric flour sifter is great for people that have arthritis or other medical condition that limits hand movements.
Crank or Squeeze
For those who are still an avid fan of the manual flour sifter, there are two main types. The crank type uses a hand crank to sift the flour, while the squeeze type squeezes the flour through a mesh by the handle or the lid.
The crank type is best for people that have limited hand movements but don’t want to go completely electric. If you have perfectly healthy hands, there is nothing wrong with preferring the squeeze type.
top 5 best flour sifter Available Today
Now let us look at my top five best flour sifter available today. I managed to get some detailed information about each of them for your reference.
- #1. Bellemain Stainless Steel 3 Cup Flour Sifter
- #2. Winco MS3A-8D Strainer with Double Fine Mesh, 8-Inch Diameter
- #3. Cook N Home Stainless Steel 8-Cup Flour Sifter
- #4.Norpro Battery Operated Sifter
- #5. Scandicrafts Stainless Steel 10.25 Inch Fine Mesh Flour Sifter (1, 10.5)
#1. Bellemain Stainless Steel 3 Cup Flour Sifter
Bellemain Stainless Steel 3 Cup Flour Sifter
Bellemain never ceases to provide us with innovations that make it easy for us to do our kitchen duty. This flour sifter is designed with the user in mind. The lightweight construction and the easy to turn hand crank is user-friendly even to those that have arthritis or medical conditions that limit hand movements. The measurements are embedded on the stainless steel so that there is no need for any measuring cups.
- This flour sifter is made of stainless steel which is lightweight yet durable.
- The hand crank with dual loop agitator makes it easy to sift through flour without pressure or force.
- Absolutely no clog-ups. It is very easy to clean.
- You can even sift fine sugar, oat bran, and almond meals that other flour sifter cannot.
- This is not the flour sifter if you are to deal with large quantities of flour.
- Tiny holes that link the crank to the sifter pours out some of the flour being sifted creating a mess.
#2. Winco MS3A-8D Strainer with Double Fine Mesh, 8-Inch Diameter
While this is actually a fine mesh strainer, it can also be used as an effective sifter without the need to turn a crank or squeeze the handle. Just pour out the flour into the strainer, and it works like magic.
Winco MS3A-8D Strainer with Double Fine Mesh, 8-Inch Diameter
- The stainless steel mesh is double fine and is great in removing debris and unwanted particles in the flour.
- There is no need to crank or squeeze. Just pour the flour into the mesh, and it gets aerated.
- It is easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- It doesn’t rust or stain easily.
- You may need to pour the flour some times to get it perfectly sifted.
- Unlike flour sifters with containers, you cannot use a strainer to mix ingredients together.
#3. Cook N Home Stainless Steel 8-Cup Flour Sifter
Cook N Home Stainless Steel 8-Cup Flour Sifter
The 8-cup capacity is somehow the standard size for most baking requirements. This flour sifter allows you to sift flour and mix it with other fine grain ingredients with ease in a single batch. The stainless steel construction is durable and lightweight at the same time. Make perfectly textured cakes and cookies with ease using this flour sifter.
- The stainless steel flour sifter is durable yet lightweight.
- The hand crank and dual agitator mix flour with ease and convenience.
- All the parts are easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- It has a polished mirror exterior which exudes elegance and sophistication.
- The nut that holds the handle needs tightening before use otherwise it might get loose and get mixed with the flour.
- The mesh is a little wide to strain and mixes through finer grains of ingredients such as bran.
#4. Norpro Battery Operated Sifter
For those that wouldn’t let their weak hands or arthritis hinder them from their love for baking, this is the perfect flour sifter. There is no need to turn cranks or squeeze handles. Just put the flour and turn on the power to make it work like magic. It is made with BPA-free materials and a stainless steel mesh which is perfectly safe to use.
Norpro Battery Operated Sifter
- There is no need to turn a crank or squeeze a handle. Perfect for people with weak hands wrists.
- It has a 5-cup capacity which is enough for mixing ingredients for small cakes and cookies.
- The stainless steel wire mesh is sturdy, strains finely, and easy to clean.
- It is made with BPA-free materials
- It is operated with a C battery which is more expensive than lithium-ion or even AA.
- The sifting process is done through a vibration and not using the mechanisms inside. It might take a while to go through flour properly.
#5. Scandicrafts Stainless Steel 10.25 Inch Fine Mesh Flour Sifter (1, 10.5)
Scandicrafts Stainless Steel 10.25 Inch Fine Mesh Flour Sifter (1, 10.5)
If you are not into cranking or squeezing yet doesn’t want to resort to electric flour sifters, then this is the one for you. Just pour the flour into the mesh and shake it until you acquire your desired texture. It has a stainless steel mesh which is very durable and easy to clean.
- The 10.25-inch size is enough to sift through a whole lot of flour in one go.
- It is lightweight and easy to operate.
- There is no need to turn a crank, squeeze a handle, or work with batteries and cords.
- The stainless steel mesh is durable and easy to clean.
- The fine mesh sifts flour thoroughly to achieve the perfect texture.
- Do not overload the mesh as it is prone to ripping and damage.
- The finishing of the rim needs improvements as there are metals that are poorly rolled with protruding parts that can cause damage while sifting.
Bellemain Stainless Steel 3 Cup Flour Sifter
The best flour sifter for me is the Bellemain Stainless Steel 3 Cup Flour Sifter. Too bad it doesn’t come in a larger capacity. The crank mechanism is easy on the hands while the mesh and the dual agitator provides ample sifting for the perfect texture. You can even use this for mixing flour with other ingredients. This is truly one great flour sifter.