Simply Healthy Family may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Black Bear Diner Pancake Recipe
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 tbsp Vanilla
- Other toppings desired
- Mix Dry IngredientsStart by mixing all the dry ingredients together. Combine the sugar, baking powder, salt, and flour in one bowl. It’s essential that the mixture doesn’t have lumps. A smooth mix is the key to a perfect pancake. Sift the dry ingredients if necessary to get the right consistency.
- Separate the EggsSeparate the egg yolks from their whites by cracking the eggs and switching the egg yolk from one part of the shell to the other, until only the yolk remains. Catch the whites in a bowl and set aside. The egg whites are a vital ingredient to be used later.
- Mix Liquid IngredientsMix all of the liquid ingredients – egg yolks, milk, half and half, and vanilla – together in their own bowl. Mix these ingredients thoroughly.
- Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients Mix together the wet and dry ingredients. Do not over-mix, but instead mix ingredients just until they combine. Be mindful not to allow any lumps to form because this will change the consistency of the pancakes.
- Mix Egg WhitesIt’s time to use the egg whites that were set aside. Whip them with a mixer or by hand with a whisk or fork until they form soft peaks.
- Fold In Egg WhitesGently fold (do not stir) the egg whites into the rest of the mixture. The folding allows the batter to get the right consistency – a pancake that is fluffy.
- Prep SkilletHeat the skillet on medium-high heat. Then, when fully heated, add butter to the skillet. Take ⅓ cup of the batter and add it to the skillet, making a round pancake shape.
- CookCook to preference, or until the pancakes become golden brown in color, flipping when one side turns golden. Give the pancake two to three minutes per side. Repeat this until all of the batter is gone. Add butter, syrup, whipped cream, or other toppings to the pancakes based on preference.
Copycat Black Bear Diner Pancakes Tips
This copycat Black Bear Diner sweet cream pancakes recipe should taste similar to the real thing. The diner is highly secretive about its ingredient list, but there are some tips that will help you make your pancakes taste similar. There are a few ways to switch the recipe up, too, and it’s easy to experiment to find the best flavor.
Use Heavy Cream
While most copycat recipes call for half and half, some substitute with heavy cream instead. The difference between heavy cream and half and half is that heavy cream has a higher fat content, which leads to a more decadent pancake. Recipes that call for heavy cream may have other differences in instructions and ingredients, too.
A classic way to eat the sweet cream pancakes from Black Bear Diner is with syrup and butter. But there are many other ways to enrich this breakfast recipe. Use fresh fruit, add blueberries or chocolate to the batter, or use whipped cream on top. The original pancakes will be delicious, but there’s a lot of room for creativity.
If cooking for a crowd, doubling up on the given recipe is a good idea. It may be worth it to triple the recipe if there are many people to feed at once. It’s also possible to freeze the pancakes for later.
To freeze, place pancakes in one layer on a baking sheet, and put in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. Then stack the pancakes on top of one another, separating them with parchment paper or wax paper to prevent the pancakes from sticking together.
Store the stacked pancakes in a freezer-safe bag, and store in the freezer for up to two months. Eat them within a couple of months for the best taste. Reheat using the oven, microwave, or use the toaster.
Replicating Black Bear Diner sweet cream pancakes is possible with the right ingredients. Much of this recipe is about getting the right texture for the pancakes. Although some practice may be required, this recipe is quite simple and easy to follow.