Being a chef is never easy. They don’t don suits, sit on desks, and fiddle with graphs and charts in front of the computer. They are always on their feet shouting, commanding, leading, applying their culinary genius on delicious recipes, apron, and hat smeared with splashes of sauces, garnish, and other food particles.
The long hours of standing take a toll on their feet, that is why having the best chef shoes is necessary for them to thrive on their awesome job.
Why is wearing chef shoes important?
Only models, celebrities, and TV personalities get to wear shoes for the sole purpose of fashion. For us regular folks, shoes are for function first and fashion second. Athletes wear shoes that help them excel in their game. So do people that work in project sites and oil rigs. They wear shoes that make them more efficient.
For chefs, not only you have to select the best ingredients and utensils such as a chef’s knife. Here are the reasons why wearing a pair of chef shoes is also as important.
To avoid injuries
The kitchen is a nasty workplace. Oil and grease here, spills and spoils there. If you don’t have the appropriate shoes, you have a high risk of slipping. Mopping the floor is not always helpful since most detergents cause the floor to be slippery as well. Most chef shoes have slip resistant properties and have better traction to protect you from slipping and falling.
To support the feet from pressure
The effects of standing for so long is more brutal than you think. Aside from the short-term effects such as muscle pain and a sore foot, the long-term effects of standing for long periods of time are lower limb swelling, varicose veins, and it can even aggravate arthritis and coronary heart diseases.
All of these for putting so much pressure on the feet. Chef shoes have hi-tech insoles that provide cushion and reduce the pressure absorbed by the feet during long hours of standing.
To protect the feet from odor and bacteria
Just like any other parts of the body, the feet sweats too. This is especially true if the feet is enclosed in a tight environment with no ventilation.
Chef shoes have breathable materials that allow ventilation of the feet. It minimizes the build up of bacteria from sweat and moisture build up in the foot. Who wants a man with smelly feet to prepare their food for them?
How to choose the best chef shoes?
Choosing the best chef shoe is not that hard. All you have to do is consider the following guidelines
This is the most important thing to look for in a shoe. You are already dealing with the pressure of your daily job so you don’t have to deal with an aching foot. Choose the shoes with the best insole technology that provides the utmost comfort. There are shoes that have gel, memory foam, and other high-tech features that can provide utmost comfort to your feet.
Choose a pair that has slip resistant properties for you to avoid falling over the greasy and slippery kitchen floor. Select a shoe also with a tough enough material to withstand occasional impact from knives, hot liquids, and other objects that might fall down from the counter to your feet.
Wearing flat shoes will definitely make your feet swollen and painful at the end of the day. It is imperative that you acquire a shoe with a high arch support to provide comfort and alleviate the pressure of standing around for so long.
You wouldn’t want to spend your hard earned money to spend on new chef shoes every now and then. You would rather spend them on a new pair of suede’s, oxfords, or Jordan’s. So make sure that your chef shoes are tough enough to last long with you in the workplace.
I did my homework and researched on the best chef shoes for you to choose from. Let’s check it one by one.
The best chef shoes available today reviewed
Here are the list for the best chef shoes reviewed
- #1. Crocs Unisex Specialist Clogs
- #2. Mozo Men's The Natural Canvas Slip Resistant Comfort Lace-Up Sneaker
- #3. Klogs Men’s Edge Comfort Slip On Open Back Casual Clog
- #4. Dansko Men’s Karl Box Leather Clog
- #5. Dansko Women’s Professional Mule
- #6. Skechers for Work Women's Soft Stride-Softie Slip Resistant Lace-Up
#1. Crocs Unisex Specialist Clogs
Crocs is a brand that is always synonymous with quality, comfort, and endurance. This is why it is one of the most bought work shoe brand all over the globe. This model is no exception.
On the inside, it has tiny nubs on the insole that acts like little masseurs that massage your feet and provide extra comfort. It looks good too. A high arch and loose foot area provide enough room for the feet to bend and expand naturally.
- It is made of the patented Croslite material that is lightweight, durable, and provides comfort to the feet.
- The sole is made of high-quality, slip resistant, synthetic material.
- The materials are odor resistant and very easy to clean.
- It has a thick front area for an enhanced protection of the front of the foot.
- It has a thick front area for an enhanced protection of the front of the foot.
- The shoes have a tendency to shrink if regularly exposed to atmospheres of high temperature and humidity.
#2. Mozo Men's The Natural Canvas Slip Resistant Comfort Lace-Up Sneaker
This is something that I could wear even after kitchen duty. You wouldn’t even think that it is a work shoe. It is truly a function AND function shoe.
I like the suede toe cap and the red lining in the heel section that adds a tinge of angst to the shoe. The insides are perfect as well, starting with the padded collar up to the gel infused insole that provides utmost comfort to the feet.
- It has a greatly designed, durable upper body with 37% textile and 33% leather.
- The outsole is made with slip-resistant rubber.
- The gusseted tongue is for total water resistance.
- You can use this for casual walks and strolls with its mid-cut, laced up design with padded collar.
- The insole is gel infused and placed with additional cushioning for total comfort during long hours of work.
- The shoes are not designed for high-activity movements. It will wear off and break if regularly exposed to highly strenuous activities.
- Doesn’t have that much breathing room for the feet. It has the tendency to make your feet smell bad if you don’t wear antibacterial socks or apply foot powder.
#3. Klogs Men’s Edge Comfort Slip On Open Back Casual Clog
Just by looking at this pair I already know that it is very comfortable. The light, polyurethane texture makes the clogs light yet durable. It has a removable insole that has provides utmost arch support and generous cushioning that will provide comfort to the feet even for long hours of standing.
- It is built with polyurethane, a material that is lightweight and durable.
- It has a removable insole that has good arch support and soft cushioning for hours of comfort for the feet. It is also odor resistant and antimicrobial.
- The outsole is slip resistant, oil resistant, non-marking, and shock absorbent. All of these features for your safety.
- The clogs are easy to clean with soap and water. Just wipe to dry.
- Since there is no strap at the heel, there is a tendency to fall off especially when your feet doesn’t fill the shoe.
- Adjust the size to a plus two for you to get the perfect fit.
#4. Dansko Men’s Karl Box Leather Clog
The first thing that struck me with this shoe is its leather upper texture. I was skeptical at first since leather and comfort doesn’t go along well. But when I tried the clogs it was really comfortable.
The PVC frame and the padded instep made it easy and comfortable to carry the clogs. It also helps that it is antimicrobial and slip-resistant.
- It has a leather upper texture with a PVC frame.
- The open-backed design features thick padding in the instep and a contoured insole with a breathable arch support.
- It has an antimicrobial lining that keeps the odors away.
- You are safe from slipping and falling with the anti-skid tread that provides high traction.
- Since it is leather, it has the tendency to crack at the edges due to constant bending and stretching.
- Add 2 sizes more to get the size that fits you.
#5. Dansko Women’s Professional Mule
Aside from just being really cute, this pair provides utmost comfort and support for hard working women.
It is made of leather which is durable. The padded cushioning with excellent arch support gives a feeling of comfort and ease even during long hours of standing. Even the instep collar is padded. It was truly designed with comfort in mind.
- The upper is made of leather while the sole is made of polyurethane.
- It features a roomy reinforced toe box for protection and comfort.
- The outsole is infused with rocker bottom for excellent shock absorption.
- It has a padded instep collar for additional comfort around the ankle area.
- It has a wide heel strike for better stability.
- The shoes are handmade so the measurement is not accurate. Make sure to have a rational return arrangement so that you can return the pair without hassle in case it doesn’t fit.
#6. Skechers for Work Women's Soft Stride-Softie Slip Resistant Lace-Up
I definitely love these shoes. Aside from the fact that this is made by Skechers, one of the leading brands in performance shoes, it also has a nice The laced-up leather upper design that I can wear outside of work.
The technology is expected from one of the best shoemakers there is. It has a Removable PU comfort insoles and OSHA compliant slip resistant rubber outsoles for top-notch comfort, protection, and durability.
- It has a casual laced up design with a durable leather upper.
- The outsole is made of slip-resistant synthetic material while the insole is infused with athletic cushioning for comfort and safety.
- The tongue and collar are padded for additional comfort for the ankle area.
- There is a handle pull tab at the heel for hassle free wear.
- There are perforated accents on the side of the shoe allowing the feet to breathe.
- The shoe design didn’t put much thought into providing enough arch support. But it is something that a store bought insole can fix.
For men, the best chef shoes for me is the Mozo Men's The Natural Canvas Slip Resistant Comfort Lace-Up Sneaker. All of the chef shoes on the list are of superb quality in terms of function, but I am giving a premium on the I’m-not-at-work design of the shoes that you can directly use after duty hours.
The same goes for the Skechers for Work Women's Soft Stride-Softie Slip Resistant Lace-Up. The versatile design makes it a good pair of sneakers for regular walks and at the same time not compromising its functionality when you at work.