Simply Healthy Family may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
The main reason why I skip the whole chicken section even though it is always on sale is that I hate cutting chicken parts. Even the most expensive boning knife sets are no match with a chicken’s tough meat and bones. It is slippery, hard, messy, and there is always the tendency to cut yourself. It is a good thing that the best poultry shears can significantly make it easier to cut a chicken into our preferred cuts and slices.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
The Benefits Of Using Poultry Shears
It is high time to stop thinking of kitchen shears as mere luxury and ornamental and start considering it as a necessity for an efficient culinary experience. Here are some of its many important uses.
It Is Very Effective In Cutting Chicken And Other Poultry
As it name connotes, poultry shears are used for cutting fresh or frozen chicken and other poultry like duck and turkey. The cutting approach like how we use scissors to cut through cardboard is easier and provides a whole lot of options compared to cutting chicken through a slicing motion. It is also designed to be stronger than ordinary scissors.
It Causes Less Stress To The Hands and Wrist
It relieves our wrists from the heavy stress brought about by slicing by a knife and makes it easier in a sense that the force is distributed on the hand entirely than just in the wrist.
It Prevents Accidents
It also reduces the risk of injuries since it lessens the contact of the hand with the blade and creates cutting angles in which we don’t have to hold the meat in a risky position. There is no need to hold the chicken in a way that the knife might cut through our fingers.
It Is Multi-Purpose
You can use it for cutting through other food such as lobsters, shrimps, steaks, pastries, and even vegetables. Poultry shears are designed to be safe for contact with food. It doesn’t have any harmful chemicals and will not react negatively to food substances.
What To Look For In Your Poultry Shears?
To get the best cutting experience, look for these characteristics.
High-Quality Blade Material
Shears and knives are two different tools. Although both are designed for cutting, the blades that are suitable for knives are not always suitable for shears. If you tend to use the shears to cut through tough meat and bones, do not buy shears with carbon steel blades.
Although sharp, carbon steel blades are brittle and could chip off any time upon impact with hard objects. It also accumulates rust easily with the slightest exposure to moisture.
Select a pair of shears with stainless steel blades. It can endure the beating of cutting through bones and hard pieces of meat. It doesn’t acquire rust easily and is not affected by grease and other food substances.
Stain Resistant and Rustproof Features
Look for the shears that are rustproof and coated with stain resistant materials. You can also find shears that have anti-corrosion features that make it perfect for cutting through raw and moist meat.
The handle must have nonslip features for a safe and steady grip even when cutting wet meat or greasy barbecue. It is an important feature for safety against cuts and prevention of finger injuries.
Ease of Cleaning
The challenge of maintaining a pair of shears is cleaning it thoroughly. Aside from being dishwasher safe, choose a pair of shears that has features for you to clean particles that might get stuck in between the blades.
There is nothing like getting more than you bargained for. Even if it is just as simple as having a cork and bottle opener, having extra features aside from just a pair of sharp shears is worth considering.
The best poultry shears Available Today
Now I have the list of the best poultry shears available today. Let’s take a closer look and see which of these is worth putting our money into.
- #1.Chef Remi Latest Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears
- #2.MAIRICO Ultra Sharp Premium Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears and Multi-Purpose Scissors
- #3.WISLIFE Kitchen Shears
- #4.Messermeister 10-Inch Poultry Shears
- #5.Chef's Heavy Duty Kitchen Scissors 8-in-1 Multi-Purpose Utensils with Magnetic Holder From The Artful Homemaker
#1.Chef Remi Latest Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears
Its main feature is its stainless steel, corrosion resistant blade. Even if you expose it to moisture when cutting meat and fish, or even have it make contact with the grease during a barbecue, it will never rust. You can take advantage of its services for a long period.
Aside from the sharp blades, you can also enjoy its other features such as its bottle opener and nut and shell cracker. You will never miss a beat with its non-slip handle that will always give you a steady grip.
- It has a pair of corrosion resistant stainless steel blades that will last for a long period.
- The shears have serrated blades for a safer and more efficient cutting action.
- The handles are non-slip and easy to grip to ensure a stable yet comfortable cutting experience.
- You can also use it to open bottles and crack nuts and shells open.
- It has a 100% lifetime money back guarantee that makes it a risk-free purchase.
- Upon exposure to tough food materials, it is natural for the screw to get loose in the middle due to wear and tear. The problem is that there are no means to tighten it once it loosens up.
#2.MAIRICO Ultra Sharp Premium Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears and Multi-Purpose Scissors
The feature that separates this knife from its rivals is its lightweight feel when you use it. Although the blades are made with high-grade corrosion-resistant stainless steel, it is light to the touch and very smooth to control.
The thing that makes it even easier to control is its non-slip, easy-grip handles. It won’t slip out of your fingers even when wet or greasy. Speaking of grease, the shears are easy to clean and is dishwasher safe.
- The blades are made with premium, rust and corrosion resistant, ultra sharp stainless steel blades.
- The handles are non-slip and easy to grip for a safe and accurate cutting experience.
- It includes extra features such as a bottle opener and a nut or shell cracker.
- The shears are easy to clean and are dishwasher safe.
- It has a 100% money-back guarantee.
- Its light weight makes it incapable of cutting through heavy and tough pieces of meat and bones.
- The pivot screw tends to get loose easily when the shears are used for tough pieces of meat.
#3.WISLIFE Kitchen Shears
This is poultry shears that can do more than just cut through the meat. If you open it for up to 90°, then it becomes two knives. It also acts like a can opener, bottle opener, fruit and vegetable peeler, screwdriver, and nut or shell cracker.
It also has a safety feature in which the fulcrum is farther away from the handle and closer to the blades to prevent any accidents and for a smoother and effortless cut.
The blades are made with food safe grade carbon stainless steel for a sharp edge that maintains its sharpness for a long time.
- The carbon stainless steel blades are sharp and can retain its sharpness for a long time.
- The shears can be converted into two separate knives that can be used for multiple purposes.
- The shears have lots of extra functions such as a screwdriver, can opener, bottle opener, peeler, and nut or shell cracker.
- It is very easy to clean and is dishwasher safe.
- Since the blade is made of carbon steel, it is very susceptible to rust. Always keep it dry after use and after cleaning.
- The metal part doesn’t go all the way through the handles. If you exert much force the handles might snap.
#4.Messermeister 10-Inch Poultry Shears
It might not do much. It might not have that many features as its contemporaries, but what it can do it does best, that is to cut. It carries the Messermeister name which is synonymous with high quality and perfection, and this pair of shears does not disappoint.
Just by touching it you will know that this is made with high-grade stainless steel. It is heavy and solid to the touch. With its 10-inch size, it can cause sorts of cutting done with ease and precision. The blade is razor sharp and does not get dull easily.
The shears are held together by an industrial strength flush mounted nut that makes the cutting action smooth. To protect you from the surgical sharp blades, it has full metal clasp lock that makes is secure when not in use.
- It is made with a heavy, premium stainless steel construction for durability and sharpness.
- The flush mounted nut is an industrial grade in strength and performance making it smooth and easy to cut.
- It is 10 inches long, enough to cut through large pieces of meat with ease.
- The full metal construction ensures that the handle would not snap of break even with the heaviest of force.
- It doesn’t have any extra features such as a bottle opener or nutcracker.
- The metal handle might get slippery when exposed to moisture and grease.
#5.Chef's Heavy Duty Kitchen Scissors 8-in-1 Multi-Purpose Utensils with Magnetic Holder From The Artful Homemaker
Having this kitchen shears is like having a Swiss knife in your kitchen. It has almost everything you need. It can be a screwdriver, a bottle opener, a peeler, a cheese grater, a serrated knife, a straight knife and a nut or shell cracker. It doesn’t take away the fact that it is indeed an excellent pair of shears for poultry and other meat.
It is easy to clean. You can just disassemble the two blades and clean it thoroughly, removing any stuck meat in the middle. It is also dishwasher safe.
- The razor sharp stainless steel blades can cut efficiently through tough pieces of meat.
- The blades are easy to clean. You can take it apart and clean it without food residue getting stuck in between.
- It has a lot of extra functions such as being a screwdriver, bottle opener, peeler, knife, and nut or shell cracker.
- The magnetic storage and tough sheath make it easy to store and keep out of reach of children.
- It is a risk-free purchase. You can return it anytime with its lifetime money back guarantee.
- The holes in the handles are small and thin. It might not fit large handed people and would cause pain if applied with pressure.
- The sharp edge of the blade is short. Only the farther end of the blade is really sharp.
For me, the best poultry shears are the Messermeister 10-Inch Poultry Shears. The efficiency of being able to cut through almost anything with ease outweighs any additional feature a kitchen scissor has. It is very important that the shears we buy can do the job effectively.