As far as snacks go, jalapeno poppers have to be one of the best inventions ever! Don’t you just love the spicy, tingly taste of the hot jalapeno pepper, combined with the irresistibly smooth, creamy texture of a cheesy filling?
The invention of frozen jalapeno poppers took my love for this snack to a whole new level. Having them in the freezer, ready for cooking without any slaving away in the kitchen to prepare them, making them even more appealing.
And now that I have an air fryer, knowing how to cook frozen jalapeno poppers in an air fryer has been a whole new ball game. It just cannot get any easier than this.
The beauty of cooking your frozen jalapeno poppers in the air fryer is not only that they are quick and simple to cook, but they are super-scrumptious! Cooking the poppers in the air fryer makes them extra crispy on the outside, but soft and gooey on the inside, just like a jalapeno popper should be.
The traditional method of cooking frozen jalapeno poppers is to deep fry them in oil. While they are undoubtedly delicious when cooked like this, they also are not terribly healthy. All that oil is not good for you.
By cooking your frozen jalapeno poppers in the air fryer, you do away with the oil, without sacrificing any of the taste. In fact, if anything, they taste even better than when deep-fried in oil.
Cooking frozen jalapeno poppers in the air fryer is also so much easier and quicker than deep-frying them. No more standing over a hot stove, with boiling oil splashing and spluttering all over the place.
Just plug in the air fryer, switch it on, and pop the poppers into the basket. While they are cooking, you can do something else, and what do you know? A few minutes later you will be munching away at the best snack on earth. The air fryer is definitely the way to go.
Before I give you a step-by-step guide for how to cook frozen jalapeno poppers in an air fryer, let us take a look at some of the advantages of using an air fryer for cooking, in general.
Advantages Of Using An Air Fryer
It is not at all surprising that the air fryer has become one of the most popular kitchen appliances on the market these days. You may even be one of the millions of lucky people who received an air fryer for Christmas last year.
After all, many stores reported that it was their highest selling Christmas gift, and some of them even battled to keep up with the demand. They just could not get them out onto the shelves fast enough.
So why has this trendy kitchen gadget become such a runaway success? Well, there are numerous reasons for the popularity of the air fryer.
- Cooking in an air fryer is a very healthy way to prepare food. If your heart could speak, it would tell you that it prefers it when you cook your frozen jalapeno poppers in the air fryer, rather than soaking them in loads of oil. Oil-free cooking is not only beneficial for the heart, but it also helps to maintain a healthy weight, and keep obesity at bay. Sadly, obesity has become one of the biggest health concerns of the 21st century. Using an air fryer can help you to save those calories for more essential foods.
- Many people today are concerned about their living expenses. For so many of us, it is a daily challenge to keep to a budget and cut household expenditure wherever possible. Using an air fryer is a very economical way of cooking. Being a fairly new invention, the air fryer incorporates the latest, most modern technology when it comes to power consumption. It uses far less energy than conventional cooking methods like deep frying on the stovetop, or baking or roasting in the oven. The air fryer is a very fast method of cooking. It takes far less time to cook something in the air fryer than by using other methods. This also helps to conserve electricity, which is not only good for the pocket but also benefits our environment.
- And speaking of the environment, have you ever stood over your stove after cooking something, pan in hand, and thought to yourself, “Now what do I do with this used oil? Pouring it down the drain is sure to clog up the pipes while throwing it in the trash is too messy.” I know that this has always bothered me. Cooking those frozen jalapeno poppers in the air fryer is far more environmentally friendly than deep-frying them in oil. No more wondering what to do with the used oil. There isn’t any!
- Unlike many new-fangled gadgets that cost an arm and a leg, an air fryer does not have to be a huge expense. While there are many high-end, luxury models to choose from, there are also numerous cheaper, simple air fryers that do the job just as well. It is possible to get a basic, entry-level air fryer for under $100.For simple day-to-day dishes, like cooking frozen jalapeno poppers, a simple, inexpensive air fryer will be absolutely perfect.
- When you arrive home tired and hungry, or, even worse, with tired and hungry kids, who feels like fussing over a hot stove to turn out something to eat? The convenience and speed of the air fryer make it my best friend. As I walk through the door, I can pop a few jalapeno poppers, or anything else, into the air fryer, and those kids will be happily munching away within minutes.
- The biggest advantage of all is the fact that all food cooked in an air fryer – and it is possible to cook most foods this way – is utterly mouth-watering. The air fryer turns out food that is golden brown, crispy and crunchy, in a way that no other cooking method can beat.
How To Cook Jalapeno Poppers In An Air Fryer: A Step-by-Step Guide
Cooking jalapeno poppers has never been easier or more delicious than doing them in an air fryer. Once you have done them like this, you will never want to cook them any other way.
Follow these simple step-by-step instructions, and they will come out perfectly every single time.
Tip: Do not thaw the poppers before cooking. It is not necessary, and they will be perfect even when they are cooked directly from the freezer. This saves time.
- Preheat your air fryer to 360° Fahrenheit. This will help to ensure that the poppers cook evenly, and it will speed up the cooking time.
- Place the frozen poppers in the basket of the air fryer. They should be arranged in a single layer, and preferably not touching each other.
- Set the timer and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn the jalapeno poppers with a pair of silicone tongs. Take care not to pierce the coating, which will make the filling ooze out. (Avoid using metal utensils. They may scratch and damage the non-stick surface of the air fryer basket).
- Cook for a further 3 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides.
- Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before serving. The inside will be very hot and could squirt into your mouth and burn you as you bite into it.
Read Related Topic: Best Turkey Fryer
Frequently Asked Questions About An Air Fryer
Many people are unfamiliar with using an air fryer and may have some questions before cooking with it for the first time.
Q: Do you need to spray the air fryer basket with non-stick spray?
A: No. The basket has a special non-stick coating. You don’t need to spray it, and spray may in fact damage the coating.
Q: Does the outside of the air fryer get hot?
A: No, it doesn’t get excessively hot, but the underneath may get very hot. It is advisable to place your air fryer on a board to protect your kitchen counter surface.
Q: Can you stack pieces of food on top of each other in the air fryer basket?
A: This is not a good idea. Air needs to circulate around each piece, in order for it to brown and get really crispy.
Q: How do you clean the air fryer basket?
A: Wash it in hot water with mild dish soap and a soft sponge. Wipe dry with a soft cloth. Avoid using harsh abrasives, as they may damage the non-stick surface.
Q: Where should you keep your air fryer?
A: If you have enough counter space, you should keep your air fryer out on your kitchen counter. Then you will be more likely to use it often. If it is tucked away in the depths of a cupboard under the counter, it may be such a bother to get it out that you won’t want to use it.
You May Also Like: How To Cook Wild Rice In A Rice Cooker