Simply Healthy Family may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Many people love brats, but seldom make them because it has always been too much of a bother. Traditionally, the best way to cook brats used to be on the grill, which just seemed to involve so much effort for a few sausages.
But the air fryer has changed all that! Once you have tried cooking your brats in the air fryer, you will never want to cook them any other way again. As long as you know how long to cook brats in the air fryer, and what the correct temperature is to do so, your brats will come out perfectly every time.
Not only will your brats be super-scrumptious when they have been cooked in the air fryer, but you will also see just how easy it is to cook them this way.
One great tip that I have learned about my air fryer, is to always have it out on the kitchen counter. I know that kitchen counter space is often in short supply in many homes, and you don’t want to waste space by cluttering it up with too many appliances and gadgets that you seldom use.
But trust me on this one. If your air fryer is out on the counter, you will be far more likely to use it often. I use mine almost daily. It is so handy to be able to quickly plug it in, pop in a few brats (or anything else that you fancy, for that matter), and dinner is ready before you know it.
The air fryer is a fairly new invention and is fast becoming one of the most popular kitchen appliances. Ever since I got my first one, I have learned so many useful hints about how to use this incredible appliance, and I will be happy to share these tips with you later on.
Most foods can be cooked in the air fryer, including brats. How long you cook your brats in the air fryer depends mostly on their size and thickness. But it also depends on the type and model of your air fryer.
There are many different models and styles of air fryers available these days. I find that the easiest one to use is the basket-style air fryer. It is not only the easiest to use. It is also the easiest to keep clean, and it takes up less counter space than other types.
So now that I have convinced you to keep that air fryer out on the kitchen counter, you may have decided to make brats for supper tonight, and need to know how long to cook them for. Generally speaking, brats will only take about 15 minutes in the air fryer. What could be easier?
I will give you a step-by-step guide for cooking brats in the air fryer, but first let’s consider some of the other wonderful benefits of using an air fryer to cook your brats, rather than using other cooking methods.
Benefits Of Cooking With An Air Fryer
There is a reason why the air fryer has become one of the most sought-after Christmas gifts in the last few years. From May 2017 to March 2019, almost 10 million air fryers were sold in the United States. In fact, there are many reasons why it has become such a popular appliance.
- People today are becoming more and more aware of the necessity for healthy eating. In our grandparents’ times, no-one really knew about things like high cholesterol, the harmful effects of obesity, or the dangers of heart disease caused by an unhealthy diet.
- Nowadays, we are constantly being bombarded with a deluge of information about all of these dangers. The result is that many people are opting to live a healthier lifestyle, and are trying to make positive changes in the way that they fuel their bodies. We now know without a doubt that cooking with large amounts of fat is bad for you. It not only leads to obesity, but it also has harmful effects on your circulatory system, clogging your arteries and making you more susceptible to heart disease. The air fryer has changed all of that. It is a healthy way of cooking, without adding extra oil or fat to your food. The fat that is naturally present in the foods that you cook in the air fryer is able to dissolve during the cooking process, and drip down through the holes in the basket, into the pan below. By cooking your brats in the air fryer, you will drastically reduce the amount of fat that you would otherwise consume when eating them.
- Many people today are worried about finances, and keep a close watch on their utility bills, trying to find ways to lower their costs. An air fryer is a much more economical method of cooking than using a traditional oven or cooking on your stovetop. The air fryer uses a lot less power to reach optimum cooking temperature, and it will also cook far more quickly than a traditional oven. Therefore it consumes a lot less electricity. If you use your air fryer regularly, it will definitely save you money over an extended period of time.
- With the development of modern technology, the air fryer is not a very expensive item to produce. It is possible to get a simple air fryer, with all the basic functions, for well under $100.Of course, if you are looking for something more advanced, with all the ‘bells and whistles,’ there are many luxury models on the market too. But if you are on a tight budget, a simple one will serve you just as well.
- When it comes to the benefits of using an air fryer, there is nothing to beat the taste of the food when it is prepared in this way. The circulating air ensures that your food gets a delicious crispy coating on the surface, and it cooks evenly all the way through. When cooking brats in the air fryer, you will find that provided you cook them for long enough, but also take care not to overcook them, they will be just as delicious as when you cook them on the grill. They will still have that same smoky grilled flavor, but without all the fuss and mess.
- One of the things that I love most about my air fryer is the convenience. It is quick and easy to cook almost anything, and it is not difficult to clean. In my tips at the end of this article, I will explain how to clean your air fryer.
A Step-by-Step Guide To Cooking Brats In An Air Fryer
Brats, or bratwurst, to call them by their full name, are pure meat sausages that originate from Germany. They consist of meat that has been chopped very finely. The most common meat used for making bratwurst is usually pork, however, they may sometimes also contain beef or veal.
All you will need to cook your brats in an air fryer is brats and an air fryer. It’s really that simple. While a meat thermometer can be helpful in determining when they are done, it is not essential. And once you have done it once or twice, you will always know how long to cook the brats.
Most brands of brats are ready to cook, without the need for adding any additional ingredients. There is no need to fuss with spices and seasonings. They are already seasoned perfectly. When cooking them in the air fryer, you also do not need to add any oil.
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350° Fahrenheit. This will help to ensure that the brats cook evenly, and it will help to cook them more quickly.
2. Arrange the brats in the basket of the air fryer, in a single layer. Try to make sure that they are not overlapping or touching each other. If they are touching, they may stick together and will not brown evenly on all surfaces.
3. Set the timer for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, turn the brats over, using a pair of silicone tongs. Do not use a fork for this. It is important not to prick the brats. If the surface is pricked, it may burst open and all the filling will come out.
4. Cook for another 7 minutes. If you have a meat thermometer, you could check the temperature. The brats will be done when the inside reaches a temperature of 160°.
If you don’t have a meat thermometer, you can check if they are done by looking at the color. They should be golden brown on the outside and pinkish brown on the inside. They should also feel very hot to the touch. (Take care not to burn yourself.)
5. Remove the brats from the air fryer, and stand for 2-3 minutes before serving. Brats are the yummiest when eaten with piping hot, creamy mashed potatoes, and some healthy veggies.
Are Brats Healthy, Or Are They Very Fattening?
Brats are usually made from pork, which is known to have a high-fat content. However, if you cook your brats in an air fryer, this is one way of reducing the fat content. A lot of the fat will melt and drip off during the cooking process, collecting at the bottom of the pan under the basket.
Saturated fats are known to be linked to heart disease, as well as other health issues like obesity. As with most things, moderation is key. Brats do not contain carbs, which makes them a good choice for those watching their carb intake.
Check Also: How to Make Banana Chips In an Air Fryer
Helpful Hints And Tips
Now that you know how long to cook brats in an air fryer, here are the promised tips that I have figured out through experimenting with this incredible little wonder. Some of these may seem so obvious, but you often don’t think of the obvious stuff until somebody brings it to your attention.
- Never spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray. It is not necessary. The basket has a special coating that is non-stick, and the spray could even harm this coating, causing it to peel.
- I love using a spray bottle to spritz the food with a light spray of olive oil. This makes it extra crispy and gives it a lovely golden brown color.
- Don’t stack the food in the air fryer, or allow pieces to overlap. They will not be able to crisp up nicely if the pieces are touching each other. They also will not cook evenly, and will possibly stick together. Rather arrange food in a single layer, and cook in more than one batch if necessary.
- If you preheat your air fryer before placing the food in it, you will achieve better results. It will not only help to cook the food more evenly but will also shorten the cooking time.
- The position of your air fryer is important. For optimal efficiency, the appliance should be positioned in such a way that air can circulate freely around it. It emits hot air from the back, and this needs to be able to escape without obstruction. I like to place my air fryer in front of an open window.
- I always have a thin wooden board under my air fryer, in order to protect my kitchen countertop from the heat. Some surfaces are heat sensitive and may be damaged if the base of the air fryer gets too hot.
- The only utensils that should be used are those made of silicone or wood. Metal spoons, forks, and tongs will scratch the non-stick surface of your air fryer basket and may damage it.
- Earlier on, I mentioned cleaning your air fryer. It should be cleaned after every single use. This will prolong the life of your air fryer. Fortunately, it is really easy to clean. It should be washed in hot water with mild dish soap and a soft sponge. Avoid using abrasive scouring pads. Wipe dry with a soft dish towel.
You May Also Like: How to Cook Frozen Mozzarella Sticks in an Air Fryer