I can’t think of a juice that’s more refreshing on a hot, summer afternoon than watermelon juice. Yes, it’s even better than the Gatorades of the world when it comes to replenishing electrolytes. And I haven’t even mentioned the health benefits of drinking watermelon juice.
I’ve known how to make watermelon juice since I was young, because this is what my mom used to serve to us during the summertime. It’s not really that hard for a 10-year-old-girl like me was able to master it.
Of course, there are many ways to make a watermelon juice. Through the years, I’ve learned that adding other ingredients like ginger and lemon can make this summertime favorite even harder to resist.
In this article, I will share with you different ways to make a watermelon juice.
Basic watermelon juice
Without a doubt, this is the easiest watermelon juice that you can come up with. The list of ingredients is very short— one seedless watermelon, sanding sugar or honey, cold water, and ice cubes.
You’ll also need a blender, knife, and cutting board.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Peel and cut the watermelon into 1-inch chunks with the use of a sharp knife.
- Put the chunks into the blender, add sugar or honey to taste.
- Add water if you want the juice to be thinner. If you prefer a thicker juice, add ice cubes.
- Blend well.
- Strain the juice to remove the pulp.
This juice should be ready to be served in 5 minutes. It can make 3-4 servings.
Watermelon with ginger juice
Adding ginger to watermelon juice makes the beverage tangier. It can make the watermelon juice taste even more special.
Here are the ingredients you will need for this juice:
- About 10 1-inch chunks of peeled watermelon
- 3 cups of cold water
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger juice
- 1/3 cup of fresh lime juice
- Ice cubes
- Lime wedges
You can always buy bottled ginger juice at local food supplement stores. Or you can make your own ginger juice by placing a piece of ginger into the blender then adding a cup of water. Blend it until the ginger has become pasty.
Here’s how you can do this simple watermelon with ginger juice:
- Put 2 ½ cups of watermelon and about 2 cups of cold water in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour this into a large pitcher.
- Add the lime juice, sugar, and ginger juice. Stir it thoroughly.
- Refrigerate for at least three hours, or until well chilled.
This refreshing drink should be completed in 10 to 15 minutes. It can serve 3-4 people.
Watermelon lemonade juice
Like ginger, lemonade can add an extra kick to a watermelon juice. If you want, you can even add vodka into this juice and make it an adult cocktail.
This watermelon lemonade juice should be able to serve 10 to 12 people. It’s also relatively easy to prepare; it should not take you more than 20 minutes to do so.
- About 4 cups of watermelon cubes
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 3 cup of cold water
- ½ cup of lemon juice
Here is how you can make this yummy juice:
- Blend the watermelon pieces in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Add sugar and ½ cup of water in a saucepan. Place it over medium heat then let it boil until the sugar dissolves. Remove the saucepan from heat.
- Stir in the 3 cups of cold water with the lemon juice.
- Put ice into the glasses, before adding 2 tablespoons of the watermelon juice over the ice.
- Top with lemonade then stir before serving.
Watermelon with cucumber juice
This is a lightly flavored juice that should keep you hydrated during those humid summer days.
It’s simple enough that you should be able to finish this in 15 minutes or less. You’ll need a juicer for this recipe. I suggest you use a slower setting if your juicer has multiple speeds. This can serve 3-4 people.
- 2 cups of fresh watermelon juice
- ¾ cups of fresh cucumber juice
- 1-2 teaspoons of fresh mint juice
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- About 5 cups of water
Here’s how you can prepare this drink:
- Make watermelon juice by putting six cups of watermelon chunks in the blender. Pour in a separate pitcher and set aside.
- Make a cucumber juice by blending a large cucumber with 2-3 cups of water. Pour it into the pitcher.
- Create a fresh mint juice by putting around 15 mint leaves into the blender and adding water. Pour this into the pitcher.
- Add a tablespoon of sugar and stir thoroughly. Add more water if needed.
Quick Tips in Making Watermelon Juice
You should keep in mind these tips regardless of the watermelon juice you’re preparing”
- Always use a ripe watermelon as it can yield the most flavorful juice.
- Don’t throw away the white rind. In fact, you should include it in juicing watermelon as it contains more nutrients than the red flesh.
- You can cut a watermelon into quarters if you don’t have a seedless watermelon. Then look for the seed line, cutting along it using a paring knife. Throw away the piece that you have cut and scrape out remaining seeds using a fork
Watermelon juice is not only refreshing but also really yummy. Moreover, it can be made using different ingredients like ginger, cucumber, and lemonade. Why don’t you try any of these recipes today?