Making your own pizza is one of the most rewarding culinary activities that you can try to achieve. Aside from the sense of accomplishment of being able to create one of the most coveted dishes in the world, you also have the chance of customizing the flavors, thus creating your ultimate pizza perfection. With the help of the finest ingredients and the best pizza cutter, you are right on track in making it happen.
With the help of the internet, even regular people like us can do something as ambitious as making our own pizza. But mind you, although it is made easier by internet recipes and YouTube DIY’s, it is still a challenge to make a perfectly fine pizza. All you need is the perfect ingredients, the right mindset, and the right tools.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Types Of Pizza Cutter
An essential tool in making your own pizza is the pizza cutter. It is the tool used to cut the pizza into slices. Although slicing pizza seems easy and simple enough, it is a pretty challenging task.
Aside from making sure that you get to make as equal slices as possible, you have to cut the pizza without ruining the toppings. Using a chef knife or any piece in your knife set wouldn’t do. Without the right pizza cutter, this task is a handful. The following types of pizza cutter are a big help in making the perfect cut.
Also known as a palm-held pizza cutter, this tool consists of a single blade in which the upper part is the handle while the lower part is the edge. The moniker is derived from its arched or curved edge of the blade that constitutes a rocking motion during slicing.
The good thing about this type of pizza cutter is that you don’t have to worry about straight lines. You can definitely be assured that the slices made are in straight lines. It also cuts faster in the sense that a single hew can cut across the entire diameter of the pizza.
The limitation of this pizza cutter is that it cannot be used for customized cuts. It is also a challenge to use for really large pizza sizes. To get to slice properly, you would also need to stretch your hand and expose a part of your arm on the pizza, making it somehow unsanitary.
The wheel is the more common type of pizza cutter. This is what we see in pizza commercials that are used for cutting pizza. It is a circular blade is a shape of a wheel attached to a handle as the name suggested. You roll the wheel through the pizza, guiding it with a handle to ensure that the slice is according to how you like it.
The good thing about this cutter is that you can cut with any slice since you have utmost control as to where the wheel is going. This is great for pizza that has customized toppings as designs. You can avoid what needs to be avoided and not destroy the theme or design of the pizza. You can also use this for pizza with wide diameter since it has a long handle. You don’t have to put your entire hand on the pizza just to slice it.
The setback of this pizza cutter is that you can also go as deep as half the diameter of the cutting disc. For pizza with stuffed or really thick crust, using a wheel pizza cutter would be difficult.
Things To Consider In Choosing A Pizza Cutter
Aside from the type of cutter, there are other factors that need consideration to ensure that what you get is the pizza cutter that perfectly matches your cutting demands.
You will be dealing with a lot of tomato sauce, so you better be sure that the material does not react to the acidic properties of tomatoes. You will also be dealing with lots of moisture, so material that rusts and stains easily is a big no-no. It will be unacceptable if the blade would warp or bend just by slicing pizza. With all of those being said, the best way to go would be choosing stainless steel.
Whether it be a rocker or a traditional wheel type, the handle must have an ergonomic design to ensure that you have a steady yet comfortable grip with the least stress caused. This is especially true when you cut the pizza in bunches. Every little feature that provides convenience and comfort goes a long way.
There are handles made of wood which is great for aesthetic purposes and private use. You need meticulous maintenance to extend its life and protect it from wood rot. But if you really want a heavy-duty handle, go with POM or composite materials.
There are an awful lot of sticky ingredients in a pizza such as cheese, tomato sauce, ground meat, and some veggies. It would be pretty annoying to slice a pizza then remove the stuck ingredients and put them back in place. Not to mention how ruined the pizza would turn out that way. Make sure that the blade has non-stick properties for smooth, mess-free slices.
Ease Of Cleaning
Choose a pizza cutter that is dishwasher safe to save you the burden of having to wash it manually. You also have to ensure that the parts of the pizza cutter are devoid of small nooks and crannies where small particles of food might get stuck and harbor bacteria.
The best pizza cutters available today
To make it easy for you to decide, I made an in-depth research on the best pizza cutters available today. Let’s check it one by one.
#1. Culina Pizza Cutter 14" Long, Wooden Handle (Walnut)
This is the pizza cutter for those that are not just looking for a reliable cutter for this Italian treat but also enhance the classic appeal of their kitchen. The solid walnut handle creates the traditional look and also provides a comfortable and convenient grip in every slice. The blade is sharp enough to go through pizza toppings and crust without ruining anything.
- The stainless steel blade is sharp enough to go through any crust or topping without ruining it.
- The blade is sturdy enough that it doesn’t warp or bend easily.
- The curved shape of the blade makes easy rocking motion slices.
- The walnut handle is designed for a comfortable and steady grip. It also provides a classical feel.
- The cutter is versatile enough to be used for slicing meats and vegetables as well.
- The 100% satisfaction guarantee makes it a risk-free purchase.
- The wooden handle needs to be devoid of moisture otherwise it swells and gets detached from the blade
- It’s difficult to re-sharpen the blade.
#2. Precision Kitchenware - Ultra Sharp Pizza Cutter
The best thing about this pizza cutter is the size of its blade. With a 4-inch blade, it will never be a problem to cut through even the thickest of pizzas. The stainless steel blade is sharp enough to cut through layers of crust and toppings without ruining the pizza itself. The entire design is built with the user in mind, ensuring that the handle is not just comfortable, but also safe.
- The four-inch stainless steel blade is large enough to be used with really thick pizza with ease.
- The stainless steel blade is ultra sharp, sturdy, and dishwasher safe.
- The ergonomically designed handle has a soft grip, non-slip feature, with a finger guard to avoid accidents and injuries.
- The hanging loop makes it easy to hang up and put on display when not in use.
- It has a lifetime warranty for a risk-free purchase.
- The pizza cutter tends to break into two pieces when used extensively.
- The design makes it a challenge to use for cutting small pizza.
#3. Checkered Chef Pizza Cutter Sharp Rocker Blade With Cover
The pure 18/10 stainless steel construction means business. Aside from really being sturdy and tough, the one-piece design is also for sanitary purposes. There are no means for any residue to get stuck and harbor bacteria. The blade is super sharp that you wouldn’t have to worry about toppings getting moved or the crust getting mushed.
- The pizza cutter is made of 18/10 stainless steel that is sturdy and doesn’t warp or bend easily.
- The one piece design ensures that there are no small spaces for food residue to get stuck on and harbor bacteria.
- The handle is designed to provide solid and comfortable grip while easily slicing with a gentle rocking motion.
- The pizza cutter comes with a sheath for protection and safe storage.
- This cutter can also be used to cut veggies, meat, pies, and other food items with ease.
- The edge of the blade comes with burrs that can come off and mix with the food we eat.
- The handle can be slippery and hard to hold with wet or greasy hands.
#4. Kitchy Pizza Cutter Wheel with Protective Blade Guard
What I love most about this pizza cutter is its sense of innovation. Is it a rocker, or is it a traditional wheel? It is hard to tell. It has a disc that rolls for a blade, but it doesn’t have an elongated handle. It turns out that it is a pretty good idea. The unique design is not just for show. The blade is sharp enough to go through toppings and crust without destroying the pizza, while the handle is comfortable and easy to use.
- The super sharp stainless steel blade cuts through pizza with precision and ease.
- The ergonomically designed handle provides a comfortable and stable grip.
- It has protective blade cover to prevent cuts and preserve the life of the blade as well.
- The compact design makes it easy to store and even keep in your pocket.
- All the parts can be dismantled and cleaned through manual washing or the dishwasher.
- It has a 100% lifetime guarantee making it a risk-free purchase.
- Using this for a large-sized pizza is going to be a challenge. Other than that it is the perfect pizza cutting tool.
#5. Diamond Best Pizza Cutter Wheel
This pizza cutter is designed for both functionality and safety. It features a curved handle and a blade cover to protect your thumb and fingers from being cut by the super sharp stainless steel blade. Every aspect of the design is made with high-quality that the company provides a 100% satisfaction guarantee in which you can return the cutter is you are not satisfied, or it gets broken.
- The high-quality stainless steel blade never dulls or rusts. The razor sharp blade cuts through pizza easily.
- The ergonomically designed handle provides utmost comfort and stability even in long hours of slicing.
- Safety is prioritized with the inclusion of a curved handle and blade cover to avoid accidental cuts.
- The pizza cutter is built meticulously to stay put and create accurate and sharp slices. The wheel will never wobble or get misaligned.
- It comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. It is a great value for your money.
- The only downside is that cheese and other residue gets stuck in the blade guard which is very hard to clean.
The best pizza cutter for me is the Kitchy Pizza Cutter Wheel with Protective Blade Guard. Aside from the innovative design, its compact size and protective blade guard gave it an edge among its peers. The performance and functionality of the blade are not diminished despite the presence of multiple features.