Whenever I eat at restaurants that serve mashed potatoes, I have always wondered how smooth, creamy, and perfectly-textured their servings are. My mashed potatoes are not too shabby as well, I am actually proud of it. But just when I thought my mashed potatoes couldn’t get any better, I discovered using the best potato ricer in my already delicious dish.
The Best Potato Ricer
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Why Does A Potato Ricer Make Better Mashed Potatoes?
I couldn’t comprehend at first on how a simple mechanism made such a big difference on my mashed potato. It turned out that my mashed potato became smoother, creamier, less gummy, and less chunky. So I made a research and found out that it is all about two factors; air and starch.
When potatoes are mashed manually or by an electric masher, the particles are squished together, and the air is squeezed out, creating a full and heavy texture.
Using a potato ricer does the opposite. Instead of squeezing out air, it creates little air pockets that make the texture smoother and lighter. These air pocket also make the texture conducive to mixing with different flavors such as butter, milk, and cream as it seeps through the spaces and gets retained for improved flavor.
Starch is a substance that binds the potato together and causes the creaminess of the potato when it gets mashed instead of breaking down into pieces. When potatoes are mashed manually or with the use of an electric masher, the cell walls of the starch gets broken down into larger quantities which lead to a high volume of starched released. The result is a gummy or chunky texture.
The potato ricer creates soft strands with which the starch is not broken down as much as when being mashed. The riced potatoes are broken down into pieces with the least amount of starch breakdown, thus maintaining a supple and fine texture great for mixing with milk, butter or cream.
The Benefits Of Using A Potato Ricer
Let you break down the usefulness of a potato ricer. Aside from providing you with an improved mashed potato, here are some of the other advantages derived from using this machine.
Peeling Is Unnecessary
There is no need to peel your potatoes before putting them in the machine. The skin peels off automatically when it passes through. You might need to unclog the holes once in a while since the peels that are left behind will accumulate after a couple of potatoes or three.
Even a large potato ricer can easily be transported due to its portable size. It can even fit in a knife bag. It also eats up a very little storage space and won’t even require a counter to work on. The best part about it is that it doesn’t work on electricity, so you don’t need to find an outlet or worry about cords whenever you need to use it.
Easy To Clean
A potato ricer has simple moving parts and doesn’t have any motor parts that cannot be submerged in water. All you need to do is put it in the dishwasher. You can also just wash it with warm water and detergent but just make sure you rinse it properly and be careful in sticking your hands on the sharp parts.
Serves Other Purposes
Aside from processing potatoes, this machine can also be used in making creamy textures such as using apples for apple sauce, gnocchi, baby food, and even natural juice. This is great if you are health conscious and wants to feed your family with natural and healthy options.
Factors In Choosing Your Potato Ricer
There is not much to consider in choosing the best potato ricer. It all boils down to three simple factors, material, size, and handles. The good thing about these factors is that you won’t get wrong no matter what you choose. It all goes down to your preference.
This is not about choosing the better material. This is about knowing what to look for in each preference of material. There are certain properties that you need to look out for to be sure that you got a good potato ricer.
If you prefer to have a steel potato ricer, you should look for high-grade stainless steel. It should also be stain resistant and rustproof. Cleaning is should also be a breeze. It should be dishwasher safe and can be cleaned with warm water.
If you prefer to use potato ricer made with plastic or composite materials, the most important thing to know is if it is BPA-free. The last thing you would want is your family eating toxic chemicals embedded in your food from the plastic parts. Also, although plastic does not corrode or accumulate rust, make sure that what you get is dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
Choosing the size of your potato ricer depends on how much you need to make per batch. Keep in mind that if you don’t intend to make large batches of mashed potato do not choose a largely sized potato ricer since to achieve the best results, the volume of potatoes should be tantamount to the size of your potato ricer.
Choosing the right handle is important since the way you hold your potato ricer will determine its output. The handle can be made of the same material as the potato ricer itself or infused with non-slip materials such as silicone.
The thing to look for when considering handles is if it is comfortable in your hands, will require less stress to operate, and will not slip out of your hands even if it is wet or greasy. Usually, good handles have contours in which you can fit your fingers in and have non-slip materials for a steadier grip.
The best potato ricer available today
I’ve gathered a list of the best potato ricer available in the market today. Check out my detailed reviews of each.
- #1.Top Rated Bellemain Stainless Steel Potato Ricer with 3 Interchangeable Fineness Discs-Full 2-Year Warranty
- #2. OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Potato Ricer
- #3. RSVP Potato Ricer and Baby Food Strainer - White/Green
- #4. PriorityChef Potato Ricer and Masher, Makes Light and Fluffy Mashed Potato Perfection, 100% Stainless Steel
- #5. VonShef Professional Stainless Steel Mash Potato Ricer Masher/ Fruit Press With Black Soft Touch Handles
#1. Top Rated Bellemain Stainless Steel Potato Ricer with 3 Interchangeable Fineness Discs-Full 2-Year Warranty
The Bellemain brand remains to be on of the best regarding cookware. This potato ricer is no exception. Its premium stainless steel structure makes it durable and also provides an elegant look. The handles are contoured so that aside from the steady and stable grip, it also provides comfort and causes less strain to the arms and wrist.
- The featured three replaceable ricing discs provide versatility so that you can do more than just rice potatoes.
- It has an 18/10 premium stainless steel body for long lasting endurance.
- It has a contoured handle for a comfortable and steady grip.
- The nonslip knob ensures that the potato ricer will not move in its place on top of the bowl.
- The replacement discs have the tendency to slide in and out of the potato ricer or get stuck with the plunger.
- Cleaning the residue is a challenge especially if it is potato peels.
#2. OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Potato Ricer
The grip of this potato ricer is as good as advertised. Aside from being soft and comfortable to grab, the handle also makes it easy to rice potatoes and other food items. Just place the potato ricer on top of a bowl, and you can start working on your potatoes. The non-slip knob will hold the potato ricer into place for a solid experience.
- This potato ricer is designed not only to rice potato but to also do other things such as straining greens and making baby food.
- The solid stainless steel construction is durable, rust-proof, and stain resistant.
- It has non-slip handles for a solid and steady grip.
- The handles are also cushioned to eliminate stress and pain when pressing.
- The handles are somehow short, making it difficult to gather momentum to press.
- The lack of replacement blades limits its versatility.
#3. RSVP Potato Ricer and Baby Food Strainer - White/Green
It is nice to have some variety of color in the kitchen, and this is what this potato ricer brings to the table. But it is more than just a cute kitchen appliance. This potato ricer is built with heavy duty plastic to withstand the daily grind. It has two interchangeable blades that make it do more than just rice potatoes. The handles are contoured for optimum comfort and solid grip.
- The heavy duty plastic is durable, food grade, and is not affected by rust or stains.
- It has two interchangeable blades, coarse and medium, for a wider variety and versatility.
- The contoured handle provides comfort and lessens the stress of pressing.
- It is easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- The pot extension is not nonslip and tends to get out of position.
- The potato ricer can only accommodate small amounts of food item to be efficient. It is not recommended if you intend to do large batches at a time.
#4. PriorityChef Potato Ricer and Masher, Makes Light and Fluffy Mashed Potato Perfection, 100% Stainless Steel
The advantage I saw in this potato ricer is the application of a non-stick coating on top of the stainless steel body. It eliminates the pain of removing the stuck potato parts and peels that cannot be removed by water. It also boasts of a long cushioned handle that makes it easier to get momentum and press with comfort. Cleaning is a breeze since it is dishwasher safe and can be easily washed with soap and water.
- The stainless steel body is rust-proof and stain resistant.
- The handles are longer and equipped with a non-slip, silicone material with an ergonomic design to make it easy and painless to rice potatoes.
- It is designed to be capable of doing more than just rice potatoes. It can also be a baby food press and fresh juice maker.
- It is coated with a nonstick material to make it easier to remove residue and peels.
- It is easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- The lid on top of the press handle allows some food to get out whenever it is pressed especially in large quantities.
- The holes are only on the bottom part. The absence of holes on the sides adds to the difficulty of pressing.
#5. VonShef Professional Stainless Steel Mash Potato Ricer Masher/ Fruit Press With Black Soft Touch Handles
The mirror finished stainless steel structure makes this potato ricer a good complement to a great kitchenware set. It also performs at a high level given its durability, versatility, and its ease of use. Even cleaning is easy since it is dishwasher safe.
- The mirror polished stainless steel body makes it durable and look elegant at the same time.
- It has a silicone infused handle for a steady and comfortable grip and easy pressing.
- The versatile design allows it to also be a fruit press and vegetable strainer.
- It is easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- The product sticker is placed directly on the strainer. To make matters worse, it is very difficult to remove.
- The handles are too large and far apart for a comfortable grip.
The best potato ricer for me is the PriorityChef Potato Ricer and Masher, Makes Light and Fluffy Mashed Potato Perfection, 100% Stainless Steel. All of the potato ricers mentioned in the reviews are great and performs at a very high level, but this is the only one that has the nonstick coating which is very useful in starchy foods such as potatoes.