I know that a lot of you love rice as much as I do. You can eat it with almost anything just as you would use with cornbread. But the only thing that hinders us to buy rice often is the challenge of cooking it the right way. Rice is a bit expensive, and it will be such a waste to just throw a ruined batch. Luckily, the best Japanese rice cooker can provide us with perfectly cooked rice anytime.
The Best Japanese Rice Cooker
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
The Many Uses Of Rice Cooker
You might think that it would be such a bother to shell out a considerable amount of cash for an appliance that has only one purpose. But little do we know that a rice cooker as a lot more function than just cook rice
Using a rice cooker on your veggies is the healthiest means of heating your vegetables. Just like a food steamer, it just uses steam to cook the food, not allowing the vegetables to dry out. It also retains the moisture and flavor of the vegetables without the risk of overcooking and the death of good bacteria and nutrients.
You probably might not have heard about it, but a rice cooker can make cakes and muffins. Pastries baked with a rice cooker are more moist and supple than those baked from the oven. It is because of the presence of steam that prevents the cakes from getting dry.
Using a rice cooker to reheat your leftovers is the closest to reheating it using a cooking pan and a stove. Yes, it might take longer to reheat food compared to just reheating through microwave, but the flavor and the texture of the food are retained. Microwave ovens tend to dry out the food and somehow makes it bland, far from its original texture and flavor before it got reheated.
If you have a rice cooker at home, you don’t have to go to nearest Chinese restaurant every time you are craving for dumplings. All you need is ground meat, spices, wrapper, and the sauce and you can enjoy delicious homemade dumpling anytime. It is cheaper, and you can make as much as you want until your craving is satisfied.
Make Soup And Porridge
Aside from making rice-based soups, you can also make a wide variety of porridge and soups using a rice cooker. The good thing about it is that you won’t have any risk of the soup getting dried out or overcooked because of its auto shut-off feature.
What To Look For In Choosing The Perfect Rice Cooker?
But trying to get a rice cooker is not enough. To experience its advantages, you need to get the best Japanese rice cooker. Here is how you would know if the rice cooker is the best one for you.
The perfect size for your needs
In choosing a rice cooker, it is not always the bigger the better. The size of the rice cooker is relevant to the size of the batch it can cook perfectly. If you have a small party, it is not advisable to get a large rice cooker, except if you are planning to use it for steaming large quantities of food.
Using a large rice cooker to cook small amounts of rice will result to poorly cooked rice. Using a small rice cooker to cook large quantities of rice might cause it to become undercooked. Select the size that is enough for your family.
Non-stick cooking surface
One of the challenging things in cooking rice is how easy it is to stick the surface. There are times that a lot of rice gets wasted because of it getting stuck and burned. Choose a rice cooker with a durable, food-grade, and BPA-free nonstick coating to ensure that every batch is perfect.
Although it is very tempting to get a rice cooker with so many features, you might risk getting confused with so many buttons and functions and end up ruining your batch. A “cook” and “warm” indicators, a few cooking preset options, and a “start” button should do the trick. Anything more than that is excessive. It is not wrong to get one of those, but be sure that you can handle the complexity.
Easy to clean and store
The rice cooker should be dishwasher safe of at least easy to wash with soap and water. Avoid a rice cooker with parts where there are hard to reach places where food can get stuck. The typical ones are those that have removable parts that can be cleaned separately.
The rice cooker should adjust to your available time and allow you to do other things instead of monitoring and mixing rice until it cooks. Look for a rice cooker that has a time delay function, automatic shut-off, warm function, and a quick cooking function. These features can definitely save your time when cooking rice.
Extra features and accessories
Always look for the added value in your purchase. Select the rice cooker that has preset cooking functions and already include a steamer, a measuring cup, and a spatula. You can also acquire a rice cooker that has an inkling to your cooking preference such as one that can also cook pasta if you are a fan of Italian food or one that can steam sushi if you love Japanese food.
5 Best Japanese Rice Cookers Reviews
What I made is easy for you to decide. I made a research on the best Japanese rice cooker and here are my results.
- #1.Aroma Housewares ARC-914SBD 8-Cup (Cooked) Digital Cool-Touch Rice Cooker and Food Steamer with Stainless Steel Exterior, Silver
- #2.Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5.5-Cup (Uncooked) Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer, Stainless Steel NS-ZCC10
- #3.Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5-1/2-Cup (Uncooked) Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer, 1.0-Liter
- #4.Tiger Corporation JBV-A10U-W 5.5-Cup Micom Rice Cooker with Food Steamer and Slow Cooker, White
- #5.Zojirushi NHS-10 6-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker/Steamer & Warmer, White
#1. Aroma Housewares ARC-914SBD 8-Cup (Cooked) Digital Cool-Touch Rice Cooker and Food Steamer with Stainless Steel Exterior, Silver
This cooker has a lot of cool features that can make perfectly cooked rice and more. It starts off with the Unique Sensor Logic Technology in that uses a microcomputer that optimizes the cooking experience. It has multiple preset functions suitable for cooking white and brown rice perfectly.
It can be set up for up to 15 hours of time delay, and it has a keep warm function that allows you to do a lot of things while waiting for your rice to cook.
While other rice cookers allow you to steam food, this rice cooker allows you to steam food while cooking rice at the same time. It will definitely save you time. But if you need to save more time, you can opt for the quick rice function that cooks rice for 50% less time.
Cleaning up is also very easy. The cooking pot and other accessories are removable and dishwasher safe. Speaking of accessories, this rice cooker comes with a steam tray, measuring cup, serving spatula, soup ladle and recipe booklet.
- It has an aluminum exterior with easy to use control panels that are beautiful and durable.
- There is no need to monitor your meal and worry about overcooking with its 15-hour time delay and keep warm feature.
- If you don’t have time, you can use the quick rice function or cook and team at the same time.
- Cleaning up is easy. Just remove the cooking pot and other removable parts and put it in the dishwasher.
- The set also comes with a steam tray, serving spatula, soup ladle, and a recipe book.
- The steam tray is small. It is impossible to steam large pieces of vegetables.
- It has issues with its life span. Some units don’t even last for a year.
- The hinge of the lid is made of plastic instead of steel, making it susceptible to breakage.
#2. Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5.5-Cup (Uncooked) Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer, Stainless Steel NS-ZCC10
With its round shape and warmly designed exterior, you can easily mistake this rice cooker for a toy. Couple it with a user-friendly control panel and a bright LED display, you have a nice looking, easy-to-use kitchen appliance.
The good thing about this rice cooker is its use of the neuro fuzzy logic technology, in which the rice cooker automatically adjusts for a perfectly cooked batch of rice. It also has multiple preset functions that cater to your cooking needs, including a quick cook function.
This rice cooker has an alarm that you can program to a melody or to a beep. It also has a time delay setting and a reheat cycle option. It also has a retractable power cord and comes with two measuring cups, a serving spatula, and a spatula holder.
- This rice cooker is powered by the neuro fuzzy logic technology that makes the rice cooker adjust automatically to cooking needs.
- It has multiple rice cooking preset functions that include white (with regular/sushi and softer/harder selection), brown, semi-brown, mixed, and porridge.
- It has a time delay function, keep warm function, and a programmable melody to notify that the rice is cooked.
- It has a user-friendly interface with an easy to read LED display.
- It has a retractable power cord and included two measuring cups, a spatula, and spatula holder.
- Be careful in scraping the nonstick coating of the inner pan. It has a tendency to peel off easily when exposed to hard metal spatulas.
#3. Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5-1/2-Cup (Uncooked) Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer, 1.0-Liter
If you don’t want the toy-like appearance of the previous Zojirushi model then this is the rice cooker for you. Compared to the NS-ZCC10, this model has a clear coated stainless steel exterior with the same user friendly-control panel and bright LED display. The main difference is that you can purchase the steaming basket to use this rice cooker as a steamer for dumplings, sushi, or vegetables.
You can take advantage of the same features such as the multiple cooking preset function including the quick cook function. It also has the time delay and keep-warm functions, the two features important features important for people on the go.
All the parts and accessories are dishwasher safe. The cooking pan has a nonstick surface for easy food release and easy cleaning. The set comes with a measuring cup, a spatula, and spatula holder.
- It has a clear coated stainless steel exterior that is durable and beautiful.
- The control panel is user-friendly and has a clear LED display.
- It can be used as a steamer by using the steam basket that is sold separately.
- It has a programmable notification melody to tell you when the food is cooked.
- It has multiple preset functions for the perfect cooking experience.
- The set comes with a retractable power cord, a measuring cup, a spatula and a spatula holder.
- The nonstick coating of the inner cooking pan peels of easily. Do not use metal utensils to avoid scratching the surface.
#4. Tiger Corporation JBV-A10U-W 5.5-Cup Micom Rice Cooker with Food Steamer and Slow Cooker, White
I don’t think that I will get used to seeing rice cookers looking like they are not something else. If you put this in the living room, I would think of it as a CD player or a mini component system. I like the futuristic approach on the design. As hi-tech as it may seem, it is actually very simple to operate. It doesn’t have too much functionality and you just have to push a button to start.
But this rice cooker does the job pretty well. The good thing about it is that you can cook rice and steam food at the same time without worrying that the flavor of the food would get to the rice.
It also has the Automatic Cooking Logic System that adjusts automatically to cook the perfect batch every time.
- It is very easy to operate. It just has four settings to choose from; plain rice, synchro-cook, brown rice, and slow-cook/steam.
- The synchro cook system allows you to cook rice and steam meals at the same time.
- The cooking plate that comes with the set is designed to prevent the flavors of the food being steamed mixing with the rice being cooked.
- The Automatic Cooking Logic System ensures that the rice is perfectly cooked all the time by adjusting to the temperature required at the moment.
- The set also comes with a nonstick spatula and a cookbook for delicious and easy to do recipes.
- The only issue is that water tends to overflow and spew when it boils. Always make sure to put only the specified amount of water to avoid this from happening.
#5. Zojirushi NHS-10 6-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker/Steamer & Warmer, White
This is the type of rice cooker that I am accustomed to seeing. It doesn’t have that a lot of features or preset functions, but you can definitely trust it in making perfectly cooked rice. The main advantage with this rice cooker is the simplicity of its operation.
You can still steam veggies, dumplings, or sushi since it includes a steaming tray. But you cannot cook rice and steam at the same time since flavors might mix with the rice or it may affect the quality of the cooking.
It comes with a measuring cup, a spatula, and the steaming tray. The inner pot is nonstick and easy to clean.
- It has an easy, one-touch operation with “keep warm” function.
- It includes a steaming tray for making dumplings, sushi, or simply steaming vegetables.
- It has stay-cool handles, a see-through glass lid with a stay-cool knob for the easy and safe handling of food.
- Water would spew out of the lid when it reaches boiling point. Always make sure to put only the exact water measurement or remove the lid when boiling to avoid spilling of rice water
The best Japanese rice cooker for me is the Tiger Corporation JBV-A10U-W 5.5-Cup Micom Rice Cooker with Food Steamer and Slow Cooker, White. I like how it balances being multi-functional and easy to operate at the same time. I find being able to steam food and cook rice at the same time are really productive and efficient. I also love its unique design.