Everyone loves ice cream! It doesn’t matter if you’re a giddy seven-year-old kid or at your late forties. No one can resist a serving of this cold frozen piece of heaven. Aside from indulging in its sweet and flavorful creaminess, a fun thing to do with ice cream is to take pictures of perfect cylindrical curls on your cup or cone to post on your Facebook or Instagram account. Whether is for consumption or photo ops, the best ice cream scoop will be able to make you get the results you want.
The fun in ice cream gets halted when you find it either difficult to serve since it is hard, or being unable to achieve the perfectly round scoops of ice cream to go along with a nice cup of blended drinks for dessert. Sometimes what you get are chunks that are so uneven that it falls off the cup or the cone and create a mess. Sometimes, the entire batch of ice cream gets ruined because you’re trying to hew away aimlessly for a serving.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Why Should You Get An Ice Cream Scoop?
If you are an ice cream lover and buys this amazing treat by the gallon, then you should consider getting a dedicated ice cream scoop due to the following reasons.
It spares the life of your silverware
You don’t have to use your spoon for hacking through the hard icy surface and risk of bending or breaking it altogether. Yes, a spoon might be too hard to get destroyed by ice cream. But remember, a spoon is not designed to push through hard pieces of food texture. You might not notice the wear and tear initially, but in the long run, you will see its effects.
It spares you of hand and wrist injuries
Using anything else than an ice cream scoop puts you at risk of getting injured. Especially on hard ice cream batches, the pounding and hacking away take a toll on your wrists and arms. Not only that, spoons or other utensils might go flying in recoil due to the force and hit you in the process.
You get to enjoy fully textured ice cream servings
One technique in making it easy to scoop ice cream is to thaw or make it melt so it would be soft then just refreezing it for later. It actually works, but the thing is that the ice cream has lost its texture, some of its coldness, and it somehow becomes unpleasant to the palate and unsafe for eating. Not to mention the time wasted on waiting for it to thaw. With an ice cream scoop, there is no need to wait hours just to get your preferred scoops of ice cream.
Things To Consider In Choosing Your Ice Cream Scoop
For you to experience the perks of having an ice cream scoop, you have to get the best one. Make sure to look into the factors below in choosing the best ice cream scoop for you.
The most preferred material is stainless steel. Not only is this material sturdy, but it is also sanitary and light. It doesn’t rust despite being exposed to cold liquid dairy products. It also doesn’t have a risk of breaking into pieces that might get mixed to the ice cream and be accidentally eaten.
It doesn’t have to be razor sharp just like in a knife. But it should be sharp enough to slice through hard textures with ease. The sharp edge is what makes it different from a spoon. It should be easy for you to glide through tough and rough ice cream surfaces with the sharp edge.
Trigger Or No
There are two different types of ice cream scoops, the ones with the trigger and the ones that don’t. The trigger serves as a secondary slicer that separates a chunk from the ice cream and also serves as a release mechanism to let the ice cream drop to the cone or cup.
Having a trigger makes it really easy to serve ice cream. However, if it gets broken, it becomes really hard to use the scoop. Aside from the chunks that will be hard to remove, the spaces between the scoop and the trigger can get the ice cream stuck. It is hard to reach and clean. The worst part is it might become a breeding ground for bacteria.
The most important thing about the handle is that it has to be ergonomically designed for a comfortable and steady grip. It should also have a non-slip grip for easy and convenient usage. Most effective handles are made with either rubber or silicone which is generally soft, absorbs pressure, and provide non-slip properties.
Anti Bacterial Properties
Since ice cream is dairy, it gets spoiled given the circumstances and harbor bacteria, especially the ones that get left behind an improperly cleaned ice cream scoop. Make sure that your scoop has anti bacterial properties to ensure there wouldn’t be a chance to get some in your food.
Ease of Cleaning
Aside from being dishwasher safe, the ice cream scoop should also be void of any nooks and crannies where ice cream residue can get stuck and become a breeding ground for bacteria. A good one can also be cleaned by soaking in water and detergent.
The best ice cream scoops available today
I have managed to gather some detailed information about the best ice cream scoops available in the market today. Let’s take a closer look at each of the great selections.
- #1. Spring Chef Ice Cream Scoop with Comfortable Handle
- #2. Wilton 2104-1014 Ice Cream Scoop, Multicolor
- #3. OXO Good Grips Solid Stainless Steel Ice Cream Scoop
- #4. Volrath (47140) 4 oz. Stainless Steel Disher Size 8
- #5. SUMO No-Thaw Hard Ice Cream Scoop • Solid Stainless Steel • Non-slip Rubber Grip • Dishwasher Safe, Green
#1. Spring Chef Ice Cream Scoop with Comfortable Handle
The unique design of this ice cream scoop is not just for a high aesthetic value. Although the primary purpose of the design is to make perfectly round scoops, it is also to ensure that even the ice cream in hard to reach places are not left out. It is also versatile enough that it can be used for other tasks such as scooping out watermelon seeds or filling peppers with stuffing.
- It has a sturdy stainless steel construction that would not bend or break even with the hardest ice cream.
- It has a uniquely designed scoop that has really thin edges for a better cutting prowess and to make it easy to get ice cream even from the corners of the container.
- The curved shape of the scoop ensures a perfectly spherical scoop all the time.
- It has an ergonomically designed non-slip rubber handle for a comfortable grip.
- The scoop is dishwasher safe and easy to clean as well.
- A lifetime warranty makes this a risk-free purchase.
- The unique design makes it overwhelming or weird for people used to the common type of ice cream scoops.
- It is somehow heavy but is compensated on how easy for it to use.
#2. Wilton 2104-1014 Ice Cream Scoop, Multicolor
This is another ice cream scoop that deviates from the common design to make it easier to get ice cream. It has an elongated scoop and has pointed edges to make it cut through the hardest and coldest ice cream. The whole edge of the ice cream scoop was made sharp for easy scooping and to prevent slipping, this creating perfectly curved ice cream scoops.
- The scoop is made with heavy cast material that makes it sturdy and effective for very hard ice cream.
- The handle is ergonomically designed for a comfortable and steady grip.
- The scoop is elongated for an easier and more convenient digging and scooping.
- The pointed edges of the scoop make it easy to plow through tough and cold ice cream.
- The pointed bottom part of the handle somehow pokes through the hand when scooping hard ice cream.
- The material used in the scoop oxidizes quite sooner compared to stainless steel.
#3. OXO Good Grips Solid Stainless Steel Ice Cream Scoop
Just like any other OXO products, this ice cream scoop is really sturdy and reliable. It is made of solid stainless steel that won’t pit or break even if you regularly put it in the dishwasher. Aside from being a tough one, it is also uniquely designed to plow through the hardest of ice creams with ease and with the least stress on the hands.
- The scoop is made of solid stainless steel which is sturdy and lasts long.
- The scoop has a pointed edge that makes it easy to scrape through the toughest of ice creams.
- The flat edged allow the scoop to get the ice cream from even the corner parts of the container.
- The ergonomically designed handle is really soft and comfortable to the touch.
- It is very easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- Its curved shape accumulates water when washed face up. Make sure that the scoop if faced down when placed in the dishwasher.
- Getting perfectly round scoops of ice cream are a challenge with this one.
#4. Volrath (47140) 4 oz. Stainless Steel Disher Size 8
This scoop is a part of a series of ice cream scoops by Volrath with different sizes. Each of the pieces of the set is color coded, and the size 8 is tagged with the color gray. The entire set is NSF certified safe, so you don’t have to worry about using it in your food. It has a special design to ensure that you get an easy and convenient ice cream experience.
- The scoop and the components like the trigger are made of stainless steel which is sturdy and corrosion-resistant.
- The grooved design of the handle is to ensure a solid and steady grip. It also has a stopper notch to prevent slippage.
- The handle is coated with the Agion micro bacterial protection.
- The blade extends beyond the bowl of the scoop to ensure removal of stuck ice cream.
- The gears are not smooth to operate and feels like it is going to break down any minute.
- The trigger tends to get jammed.
#5. SUMO No-Thaw Hard Ice Cream Scoop • Solid Stainless Steel • Non-slip Rubber Grip • Dishwasher Safe, Green
The color green reminds me of pistachio, one of my favorite ice cream flavors. But this scoop is not just cute. It is very sturdy and functional. The scoop is made with solid stainless steel while the handle is made with soft BPA free rubber. Even the hardest ice cream can be easily scooped like a pro with its unique chisel like design with a pointed edge. Instagram worthy curls are achieved through the scoop’s curved shape.
- The scoop is made of solid stainless steel. It is stain and rust resistant and does not bend or break.
- The ergonomically designed handle is made with BPA-free thermoplastic elastomer rubber that makes it soft and easy to scoop ice cream.
- The flat edge makes you able to reach out and scoop ice cream even from the edges of containers.
- Except for the water that accumulates if placed in the dishwasher face up, there is nothing wrong with this ice cream scoop.
The best ice cream scoop for me is the SUMO No-Thaw Hard Ice Cream Scoop very closely followed by OXO. This ice cream scoop is made with the consumer in mind, making a design that makes it easy to plow through ice cream and using only the finest and safest materials like stainless steel and BPA-free rubber.