Are you looking for a versatile knife that can do almost everything in the kitchen? Do you want a viable piece to add to your already stacked collection of high-class knives? Whether you are a master chef, a culinary enthusiast, or an avid knife lover, you cannot go wrong in adding the best Gyuto knife to complement your gleaming knife set.
Don’t get me wrong. A Gyuto is just not an addition to a knife set or just a knife to go with your Santoku knife. It is an effective tool for cutting almost anything in the kitchen. In fact, this knife is also dubbed as the Japanese chef knife due to its versatility. There are chefs that prefer just only using a Gyuto in all of their prep work.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Distinct Features Of A Gyuto Knife
Since this knife functions the same way as western chef knife, you might think that the difference is probably just the name or where it is made. But there are certain characteristics that are only present in a Gyuto knife.
A Gyuto knife usually has a single bevel. It means that only one side of the blade is sharpened. This unique style enables a Gyuto to be sharper and thinner so it could easily penetrate tough textures.
A western chef knife has a symmetrical bevel, meaning to say it is sharpened on both sides. It doesn’t mean that a single bevel is better. Although it is also sharp this way, it makes the blade thicker and makes it less able to penetrate tougher textures compared to a Gyuto.
A Gyuto knife has a harder texture compared to that of a regular chef knife. The hard texture means that the blade could be narrower and the edge thinner so it could be really sharp and retain its sharpness for a long period of time.
The downside of a narrow and hard blade is that it becomes brittle and has a higher tendency of chipping or breaking upon impact to a really hard object.
Since the blade is thinner, the knife itself becomes lighter. It also helps that the materials used in making this knife are also lightweight. This makes the Gyuto knife easy to control and maneuver, suitable for people that have weak hands or have a medical condition in which they cannot apply too much pressure on the wrist.
Choosing The Best Gyuto Knife
Although a Gyuto knife is pretty much distinct, you might mistake it for a different knife. To ensure that you get an authentic and high-quality Gyuto knife, consider the following factors.
The two best materials available for Gyuto knives are carbon steel and stainless steel. Carbon steel can be way sharper than stainless steel and can retain its sharpness for a long time. However, it can easily rust and stain when exposed to moisture for a long time. So utmost care is needed to extend its life.
Stainless steel is preferable if it will only be for home use. Aside from being less conducive to rust, it also has a less possibility of chipping. You would only need to have to sharpen it every once in a while since it doesn’t retain its edge as much as carbon steel.
Although merely preferential, the size of the knife has an impact on its effectivity. The common size is usually 8 to 8.5 inches, but can also find smaller or larger sizes. The most important thing is that it should be comfortable for you to maneuver and control. If you have big hands, then opt for a larger sized Gyuto.
The tang is a part of the blade that goes through in between or inside the handle. The tang affects the balance of the knife and how you can control it. It also affects the possibility of the blade getting detached to the handle.
The best way to go is full tang. It means that the part of the blade extends fully up to the bottom part of the handle. This enhances the balance of the knife and ensures that the blade wouldn’t fall off the handle.
The bevel is the sharpened side of the blade. Traditional Gyuto knives are single beveled, but dual-edged blades are also becoming available in the market, although the two sides are not symmetrical.
The significance of the bevel is whether you are right or left handed. The sharpened edge must be facing directly to you while you are slicing, especially if you are left handed. Otherwise, you will have a hard time making perfect slices.
Traditional Gyotu knives have wooden handles. The good thing about wood is it provides a traditional and classical vibe on the knife. It also provides a good grip. However, make sure to prevent it from accumulating moisture. It can harbor bacteria, produce a bad smell and eventually rot and break.
Metal handles don’t rot and have no problems with exposure to moisture. It is also durable and can withstand impact without warping or chipping. The only challenge is that it tends to be slippery and hard to grip when the hand is greasy or wet.
Composite handles which are made of plastic and other sturdy compounds are sturdy, have no issue with moisture or water, and provides a steady grip. Just make sure that it is made with food-grade and food-safe materials and is BPA-free.
No matter what kind of handle you choose, remember to choose an ergonomically designed handle so that you will have a comfortable grip despite numerous hours of chopping and slicing.
The best Gyuto knife available today
Now that I have mentioned the things you need to look for when choosing the best Gyuto knife, it is time for me to show you my top five best Gyuto knives and an individual review of each.
- #1. Tojiro DP Gyuto – 8.2” (21cm)
- #2. DALSTRONG Chef's Knife - Shogun Series X Gyuto - VG10 - Hammered Finish - 8" - w/ Chef Knife Sheath
- #3. Yoshihiro VG10 16 Layers Hammered Damascus Gyuto Japanese Chefs Knife 8.25 in (Western style Mahogany Handle)
- #4. IDEALCRAFT Chef's Knife 8-inch, Gyuto Japanese Knife with Stainless Steel & Ergonomic Handle, Perfect For Slicing, Dicing, Chopping, and Mincing of Fruits, Vegetables, Meats and Fish
- #5. Tatara Japanese Chef Knife for Sushi 8 inch - Professional Gyuto VG10 Damascus
#1. Tojiro DP Gyuto – 8.2” (21cm)
If you want nothing fancy but thoroughly effective, this knife is the one for you. It is made with high-quality VG-10 steel which is known to be tough and durable. The composite wood ergonomically designed handle is painted black with silver accents to provide that classic look. The good thing about this knife is that it has a symmetrical double-beveled blade so it can be used effectively by right or left handed people.
- The blade is made with VG-10 stainless steel which is durable and resistant to rust and stain.
- It has a symmetrical double-beveled blade with 15° slope which is great for right or left handed people.
- It has a composite wood ergonomically designed handle for a comfortable and steady grip.
- The black primary coating with silver accents provides a classic and sophisticated appeal.
- It needs to be periodically sharpened to maintain its sharp edge./
- edge should just be minimally used for hard surfaces since it tends to chip.
#2. DALSTRONG Chef's Knife - Shogun Series X Gyuto - VG10 - Hammered Finish - 8" - w/ Chef Knife Sheath
There are a lot of really good things to say about this knife but to simply, if you have money to spend on a very good knife, spend it on this knife. It will not disappoint you.
The blade is made with a core of Japanese VG-10 high-quality stainless steel, layered with 33 layers of Damascus steel on each side. It has a scalpel like sharpness due to the 12° angle on each side. You also don’t have to worry about maintenance since its stain and rust resistant cladding ensures that the life lasts long without too much maintenance.
The handle is made with a military grade G10 prowess that is ergonomically designed to provide optimum comfort and stability. It is impervious to extreme heat, cold, and moisture to ensure that you get the perfect cut at any given time.
- The blade is made with Japanese VG-10 premium stainless steel which has rust and stain resistant cladding.
- The blade is angled at 8 to 12° on each side for a scalpel sharp edge.
- The blade is clad with 67 layers of Damascus steel with a rose tsunami pattern for added protection and a sophisticated look.
- The knife has a tapered bolster for added finger protection and stable grip.
- The full tang construction ensures a sturdy knife that won’t break into pieces.
- The military grade G10 handle is designed with a beautiful copper mosaic and is ergonomically constructed for optimum comfort and stability.
- The knife comes with a beautiful traditional Japanese-themed sheath.
- This knife has no major setbacks.
#3. Yoshihiro VG10 16 Layers Hammered Damascus Gyuto Japanese Chefs Knife 8.25 in (Western style Mahogany Handle)
This is a knife that is designed for both functionality and beauty. The Japanese VG-10 premium stainless steel blade is curved with an extended tip for a smooth rocking motion. It is also hammered to create small air pockets that prevent food from sticking to the blade. The handcrafted handle is made with pure mahogany wood which adds to the elegance and beauty of the knife.
- The blade is made with high-quality Japanese VG-10 steel that is stain and rust resistant.
- The VG-10 core is clad and hammered with 16 layers of Damascus steel for increased protection, beauty, and to prevent food from sticking to the blade.
- The full-tang construction ensures that the blade will not break off the handle and for a more balanced grip.
- The pure mahogany handle is ergonomically designed for optimum comfort and stability.
- The knife is perfect, just a little high maintenance on the wooden handle since it needs to be devoid of moisture and hard impact.
#4. IDEALCRAFT Chef's Knife 8-inch, Gyuto Japanese Knife with Stainless Steel & Ergonomic Handle, Perfect For Slicing, Dicing, Chopping, and Mincing of Fruits, Vegetables, Meats and Fish
This knife has a very sharp high carbon stainless steel blade that makes it a reliable partner in the kitchen. The full tang construction and the air blade design adds up to its efficiency. Although high in specs, this knife did not compromise when it comes to design. It has a beautifully handcrafted Pakka wood handle provides a classic and elegant look to the knife. Not to mention the blade’s exquisitely hammered tsuchime finish.
- The blade is made of high carbon stainless steel with air blade technology for a smoother glide and to prevent food from sticking to the knife.
- The handle is made with handcrafted Pakka wood that is ergonomically designed for comfort and a steady grip.
- It has full tang construction for a sturdy and stable performance.
- It has a lifetime warranty that makes it a risk-free purchase.
- The end cap on the handle can easily get detached.
- The knife is heavy on the hands compared to other Gyuto.
#5. Tatara Japanese Chef Knife for Sushi 8 inch - Professional Gyuto VG10 Damascus
The best thing about this knife is that it has its own sleek black pinewood case for protection and at the same time complement any kitchen counter. The knife itself is also of high quality. The VG10 stainless steel blade is layered with 67 layers of Damascus steel, triple riveted full tang to a G10 military grade ergonomically designed handle. This is a knife that newbies and experts will appreciate alike.
- The blade is made with VG-10 steel and layered with 67 layers of Damascus steel, slanted 8-12° edge, and is nitrogen cooled for a razor sharp edge.
- The full tang construction and triple riveted design are for added stability and strength.
- The G10 military grade handle is ergonomically designed for a comfortable and stable grip.
- It has its own black pinewood case that makes it even more special.
- It comes with a polishing cloth and a 100% money back guarantee.
- The knife is not ambidextrous and only has a single bevel. Right handed people would make good use of this knife while left handed could meet many difficulties.
The best Gyuto knife for me is the DALSTRONG Chef's Knife - Shogun Series X Gyuto - VG10 - Hammered Finish - 8" - w/ Chef Knife Sheath. This knife is everything you need from Gyuto and more. Aside from the VG-10 steel and the G10 handle, I like the fact that it is beveled on both sides of the blade so that left-handed people can also experience its cutting prowess. Another plus is that it is made by one of the most reputable brands in the cutlery industry.