Did you just move to a small apartment where there is no space for a gas range? Do you want to have an extra cooktop for special occasions to simultaneously cook while your stove is full? Do you have issues with the gas line and want an affordable and convenient way to cook using electricity? The good news is that you can get the best electric skillet as a solution to all these concerns.
An electric skillet is a cooking appliance that has a heating element incorporated to a pan so you can cook food even without a stove. It usually has an easy control panel where you can adjust the time and temperature. It is convenient for cooking anything that doesn’t require baking with a convection oven.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
What You Can Do With An Electric Skillet?
Although an electric skillet is a far cry from the prestigious multi-burner stovetops, it is a handy appliance due to its many uses.
It can temporarily expand your cooking space
There are times that you wish that your kitchen consists of just stovetops and nothing else. While you don’t want to have three 30-inch gas ranges and nothing else, sometimes one is not enough. An electric skillet can provide you with extended cooking space to accommodate other meal preparations like side dishes while your stove is full. After use, you can just stow it away until you need it again.
You can virtually cook anywhere with an electric outlet
You don’t even have to get a frying pan since the skillet already has a built-in one. All you need is to plug in the skillet, and you are good to go. You can cook in your room, in the RV, or even outside as long as there is a socket.
It can cook almost anything
Most of the meals you can cook on your gas burner you can also cook on the electric skillet. You can sauté, pan fry, deep fry, sear, and cook your favorite internet recipes. It is totally handy if you are the culinary explorer but doesn’t have access to a proper cooking stove.
How To Choose The Right Electric Skillet?
To get the best cooking experience, you need to choose the right kind of electric skillet, and here is how you can do it.
Choose a sturdy material
The best way to go is choosing either aluminum or stainless steel. Since the cooking will be through electricity, you need a pan that conducts heat fast and can provide even heat distribution. Aluminum and stainless steel are also known for sturdiness and resistance to warps and dents despite being relatively lightweight.
Make sure that it is versatile
Choose a skillet that has relatively high sides so that aside from frying, you can also do some casserole or even soups. The size of the skillet also matters as to how many types of dishes can you cook with it. Some of the better brands include a see-through lid so that you can make various meals like soup and oriental recipes and monitor it without opening the lid.
Check the control panel
The control panel shouldn’t be all that high-tech since you will only be cooking food with it. What it should have is a user-friendly temperature control and a very visible cook and heat indicator so that you can monitor it even from a distance.
Stick with nonstick
Although almost all of the available electric skillets today have non-stick pans, make sure to check the reviews if the non-stick material doesn’t peel off easily and gets scratched by utensils. Never take a chance on a non-nonstick pan. It would be a handful to manage.
Check the safety features
For starters ensure that the handles are stay-cool to avoid accidental burns during cooking. It is also great if you can find a model with automatic off features or timers just in case you are not able to monitor the cooking time. Light indicators are also great so that people would know if the skillet is turned on and cooking.
Make sure it is easy to clean
The main thing is that it should be dishwasher safe. It should also be easy to clean with just soap and water. Avoid materials that need high maintenance like the need for immediately drying it out to avoid moisture. In our busy and fast-paced lifestyle, the last thing we need is tedious to maintain cooking appliances.
The best electric skillet available today
Here is a list of the best electric skillet available today. See how the features of the following models make them the best in the market.
#1. Presto 06857 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet, Black
This is a great electric skillet if you have some friends come over once in a while. The 16-inch size is enough to make a considerable serving of fried goodies or casserole. The good thing about it is that despite its large size, the foldaway feature makes it compact and easy to store.
- It has a heavy cast aluminum base that is lightweight, sturdy, and dishwasher safe.
- The nonstick coating allows cooking with minimum oil and easy cleaning.
- The foldaway handle allows the skillet to be detached from the base for easy storage.
- It has high sides which provide a wider variety of cooking options.
- It has a built-in spout which makes it easy to pour in soup and other liquid without mess and spills.
- The non-stick coating may tend to peel off if not properly taken care for.
- The spout lets off too much steam with the flavor and all when cooking.
#2. Presto 06852 16-Inch Electric Skillet with Glass Cover
Aside from its16-inch size, this skillet also has high sides which allow it be versatile enough to use for roasting, frying, baking, makings stews, and even casserole. The elegant design makes it buffet table-ready. Put it directly in the center of the table to serve.
- The heavy cast aluminum construction is sturdy, light, and dishwasher safe.
- It has a non-stick coating for easy food release and easy cleaning.
- The control panel is user-friendly and allows you to regulate the temperature according to your preference.
- It comes with a tempered glass lid that allows you to monitor cooking without releasing steam and flavor.
- The non-stick coating might peel off if exposed to extreme conditions.
- Heat might not get distributed evenly for some meals.
#3. Presto 06620 11-Inch Electric Skillet
Here is another Presto offering but this time it is for those that don’t want it big. Despite its more compact size compared to the previous two models, this skillet can still accommodate large-sized chunks of meat or large quantities of food. You also get to enjoy the temperature control that automatically adjusts the temperature to meet cooking needs.
- Despite being smaller at 11-inches, it still has high sides making it versatile enough for a lot of meals.
- It is equipped with the diamond coat non-stick coating for easy food release that does not peel off easily.
- It also has the innovative EverNu cover that does not warp or bend.
- The Control Master automatically sets and maintains the proper cooking temperature.
- All the parts except the heat control are dishwasher safe.
- The screws that come along with the package for assembly is challenging to tighten.
- With an opaque cover, there is a constant need to remove the lid just to check on the cooking.
#4. Cuisinart CSK-150 1500-Watt Nonstick Oval Electric Skillet
With a temperature that can be set to as high as 450°F, the variety of recipes you can cook with it becomes wider. This versatility, combined with its sturdy stainless steel construction, makes it a vital part of the kitchen. Its oval instead of a rectangular shape enhances even heat distribution.
- The stainless steel construction makes it sturdy, lightweight, and dishwasher safe.
- The nonstick coating provides quick food release and easy cleaning.
- It has a temperature control that can be adjusted to as high as 450°F.
- It has a tempered glass lid lined with stainless steel rims for an elegant look and no-lift food monitoring.
- The side handles make it easy to transport the skillet.
- It comes with a recipe book with over 30 special recipes.
- On some instances, you might hear a humming/buzzing sound that is disturbing and annoying.
- The thermostat causes the skillet to turn off automatically during cooking. Check on your food once in a while to manually turn on the heat if necessary.
#5. Proctor Silex 38526 Electric Skillet
Designed for versatility, this skillet features a temperature control that can be set for up to 400°F. With that temperature range; you can have a wider variety of recipes that you can cook. Also, with its elegant design, you can directly put it on the buffet or dinner table and keep food warm while it is being served. This electric skillet is built for functionality and aesthetics.
- It is made with brushed aluminum that heats up quickly and cooks fast.
- The non-stick coating makes it easy for the food to release and also to clean.
- It can heat up to 400°F for a wider variety of meals.
- This skillet has a see-through glass lid in which you can monitor food without removing.
- All the parts except the temperature control are dishwasher safe.
- The screws that attach the skillet to the base tends to be loose. Make sure to tighten before use.
- It doesn’t heat evenly; the middle part can burn food easily while the edges are still heating up. Constant mixing is required.
The best electric skillet for me is the Cuisinart CSK-150 1500-Watt Nonstick Oval Electric Skillet. I like the fact that its temperature range makes it a versatile skillet. The handles and oval shape are innovations that make it easier to cook food and serve it to your family and guests.