If you want to achieve perfection in the kitchen, the importance of having the best chef’s knife cannot be stressed enough. Everyone knows that there is kitchenware that you can do without like a sushi knife or a boning knife, but a chef’s knife is not one of those. It is one of the most vital tools you need in order to cook efficiently and safely.
If you think that any knife will work, think again. The reason why there are so many kinds of knives is that there are some things that cannot be handled with just a single regular kitchen knife. But if you do not have the funds to purchase all the knife sets there is, you’re better off with just buying a set of the best chef’s knife for starters.
Choosing the Best Chef’s Knife
Things to consider when you choose your chef’s knife
The funny thing is there is no such thing as the best chef’s knife. Every type and brand of a knife have his own features and specialty. The only important factor here is your preference. The feel in your hand, the comfort in every slice, these are some of the things that make your knife special. But objectively, here are some of the things you should consider.
Top five best chef’s knives today
Now that we have discussed the things you have to consider in buying a chef’s knife, it is time to check our top five best chef’s knives in detail.
- #1. Messermeister Meridian Elite Chef’s Knife, 9-inch
- #2. Mac Knife Professional Hollow Edge Chef’s Knife, 8-inch
- #3. Shun DM0706 Classic 8-inch Chef’s Knife
- #4. Victorinox 8 Inch Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife 40520, 47520, 45520 Frustration-Free Packaging
- #5. ZWILLING J.A. Henckels Four-Star 8-inch Chef's Knife
#1. Messermeister Meridian Elite Chef’s Knife, 9-inch
This knife is all about tradition, class, and function. Made in the Solingen, Germany, the blade is hand-forged, made with a 15° triple step elite edge to ensure the sharpest and most accurate cut. It is made of high-carbon stainless which resists rust and corrosion. You will never go wrong with this knife since it has a lifetime warranty on materials and factory defect.
- Made with high-carbon stainless alloy, it is tough and resistant to rust and corrosion.
- The three-step 15° edge makes it razor sharp and good for accurate cutting.
- The grip is stable, easy, and safe with its ergonomically and industrial designed POM handle.
- The full-tang design, triple rivet, and the bolster-less design are for stability and precision in every cut.
- The lifetime warranty makes this knife a risk free investment.
- The knife is heavy and has the tendency to wear out your hands during heavy duty cutting.
#2. Mac Knife Professional Hollow Edge Chef’s Knife, 8-inch
For everyday slicing and dicing, this knife is the way to go. The hollow edges make it easy to cut food such as apples and squash without food sticking to the blade. Its high-carbon, 2.5mm thin blade with bolster makes it razor sharp and retain its edge for a long time. The Pakka wood handle is designed to be beautiful, durable, and easy to grip.
- The high-carbon steel blade makes it tough and retains its sharpness for a long time.
- A beautifully designed Pakka wood handle is also made for easy and stable grip.
- It has hollow edges to prevent food from sticking to the blades.
- The thinly designed 2.55mm blade makes it razor sharp and efficient in cutting.
- The thin blade profile makes it susceptible to pitting and chipping if used to surfaces like frozen meat, bones, and even squash and hard cheese.
#3. Shun DM0706 Classic 8-inch Chef’s Knife
Shun has a reputation of providing the best quality of cutlery and this particular model does not disappoint. Made of VG-10 high-quality stainless steel with 16 layers high-carbon steel on each side, it is one of the strongest blades ever made. The razor sharp edge is due to its double-beveled 16° slope, making it best for precision cutting. The Pakkawood handle is both beautiful and designed on D shape for better grip and handling. Every cutting task is easy and fun with the Shun.
- The blade is made with VG-10 stainless steel with 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel for extreme strength and durability.
- The double-beveled,16° sloped edge is razor sharp and perfect for precision cutting.
- The D-shaped Pakkawood handle is designed for both beauty and stable grip.
- The Damascus steel provides additional rust protection making it dishwasher safe.
- It has a limited lifetime warranty.
- If used improperly and with regular exposure to hard surfaces, the edge and tip might chip and break.
#4. Victorinox 8 Inch Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife 40520, 47520, 45520 Frustration-Free Packaging
The brand Victorinox is synonymous with quality and durability. This versatile knife is best for cutting vegetables, meat, and other food with ease. However, this knife is suitable for different purposes like chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing. It is made of high-carbon stainless steel, laser tested and tapered edge that is designed to be sharp and maintain its sharpness for a long time. Equipped with the Fibrox handle, it ensures a stable and easy grip.
- It is made with high-carbon steel, laser-tested, tapered steel to ensure hardness and sharpness.
- Its Fibrox Pro handle ensures solid and easy grip even when wet.
- It is designed to be a multi-purpose knife that is efficient in every cutting assignment.
- The price is very reasonable.
- There is nothing to dislike about the product.
#5. ZWILLING J.A. Henckels Four-Star 8-inch Chef's Knife
This knife is definitely for keeps. With its high-carbon stainless steel, ice hardened blade, it can withstand a tremendous amount of slicing and cutting pressure. Easy and less stress gripping and chopping is made possible with a molded POM handle that is ergonomically designed. There is no stress in cleaning since it is dishwasher safe. The lifetime guarantee makes it a no-risk investment.
- It has a high carbon stainless steel blade, ice-hardened, for a tougher and sharper blade.
- A curved cutting edge and a blunt back are designed for an all-around cutting ability.
- The handle is ergonomically designed and made with molded polypropylene for better grip and stress-free slicing.
- It is dishwasher safe.
- It has a lifetime guarantee.
- The blade, although very sharp, cannot retain its sharpness for so long.
- The blade doesn’t seem to sharpen well.
The clear winner is the Victorinox 8 Inch Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife 40520, 47520, 45520. Every knife on the list has the outstanding features of a great chef’s knife such as a high-carbon stainless steel blade, an ergonomically designed handle for stress-free slicing, and the perfect length for an all-around slicing experience. But what sets this knife apart is its price. Despite being the most affordable, it is at par in terms of performance with the least complaints and concerns.