If you think that having a complete set of stainless steel knives is enough, then you are wrong. If you are a professional chef, a food enthusiast that spends most of your time in the kitchen, or even a full-time mom who wants to cook the best meals for her husband and children, getting the best ceramic knife will help you achieve the best culinary experience.
What is a ceramic knife?
Don’t get me wrong, a ceramic knife set is not a replacement for your steel knives. Rather, it is a complementary piece, something to complete your arsenal of kitchen perfection along with your chef’s knife and your butcher knife. Ceramic knives are made of zirconium dioxide. It is a mineral that does not rust or corrodes and does not react to the acidity of the food. This mineral makes ceramic knives very hard and durable. It can last a long time without the need of sharpening.
The reason why ceramic knives cannot replace stainless steel once is because its toughness allows the knives to only serve a specific purpose and cannot be versatile as stainless steel ones. Ceramic knives are of topmost performance when used for slicing vegetables, fruits, and boneless meat, but only when used together with a plastic or wooden chopping board. It cannot cut through frozen meat, bones or other hard food like stainless steel knives, or cut through steak like steak knives, otherwise the hard blade might chip and break.
Benefits of having a ceramic knife set
Here are some of the means a set of ceramic knives can be of help to you.
The uses of ceramic knives
To maximize the efficiency of ceramic knives, here is where it can work best for you.
Fine vegetable chops
Who needs a blender when you can just use your razor sharp ceramic knife to slice and dice your vegetables finely? Onion, garlic, parsley, and other vegetables that need to be finely chopped can be done with a breeze.
Fine slices of condiments for garnishing
You can finely slice cheese or even pieces of meat for garnishing and plating. The blade’s sharpness allows more precise and accurate cuts, making it best for these circumstances.
Glide through layers of coating, rice, and meat without any residue sticking to the blade and destroying the texture of sushi and sashimi. Ceramic knives are preferred by sushi chefs for its sharpness and nonstick features.
Tomatoes, limes, and lemon can be sliced without the worry of your blade getting damaged since ceramic knives are non-reactive to acid and don’t corrode. Even meat marinated in vinegar can be sliced perfectly and easily.
You can use the ceramic knife to cut through meat, then vegetables, then fruits, without affecting taste and odor. Ceramic prevents the transfer of residues from one type of food to the other making it safe and efficient to switch from meat to vegetables.
Best ceramic knife sets today
After thorough research, here is our list of the best ceramic knife sets available today.
- #1. Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution Series 3-inch Paring and 5-1/2-inch Santoku Knife Set, Black Handle, White Blade
- #2. MoiChef Razor Sharp Lightweight Knives For Easy Kitchen Food Prep
- #3. Solutionelle Ceramic Knife Set, 2pc + Sheaths - Chef and Paring Knives with Black Mirror Finish Blades
- #4. Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution 3-Piece Ceramic Knife Set (Includes 6-inch Chef's Knife, 5-inch Micro Serrated Knife, and 3-inch Paring Knife)
- #5. SHAN ZU Ceramic Knife 8’’ Black Zirconium Blade Black Ergonomic Handle Matte Finish Chef Knife Healthy Kitchen Cutlery with Sheath Gift Box
#1. Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution Series 3-inch Paring and 5-1/2-inch Santoku Knife Set, Black Handle, White Blade
Kyocera is the pioneer inventor of ceramic knives. Until today, they are one of the trusted brands when it comes to ceramic knives. This knife set is built with the Zirconia Z206, a high-quality ceramic blade from Japan. It is made with denser, sub-micron particles which make it tougher than other ceramic blades. It is also lightweight, making it unnecessary to be full-tang in order to be balanced with the handle.
- Perfect for sushi, sashimi, and other tasks that need razor-sharp blades. It includes 5 ½-inch Santoku and a 3-inch paring knife.
- The ergonomically designed handle is extremely balanced, reducing fatigue even with repetitive cutting.
- Its blade is grounded with microscopic precision making it razor sharp and extremely hard.
- You can use it with acid, juices, oil, and even salt and it will not affect its performance, corrode or rust.
- The handle, being designed as lightweight as possible, is difficult to use for heavier cutting tasks such as large chunks of boneless meat.
- Sharpening the knives mean mailing them back to Kyocera, which might take a while.
#2. MoiChef Razor Sharp Lightweight Knives For Easy Kitchen Food Prep
Color coding is a part of our daily lives one way or another, why not apply it in our knife set? Introducing the Moichef ceramic knife set. It is easier for us to know which knife is for which since it is color coded. But it doesn’t stop there. The blades are made with high-quality zirconium, which does not rust and corrodes. The handle is very lightweight yet is fit for more challenging tasks with its arched design. You can never go wrong since it has 100% money back guarantee.
- The set includes five knives, color coded for easier recognition and fun.
- You can enjoy all the perks ceramic knives can offer such as no corrosiveness, no rust, and no food residue and bacteria.
- The handles are arched and ergonomically designed for lighter yet stronger grip.
- The zirconium blade makes it tough and retains sharpness for a long time.
- No worries with the 100% money back guarantee.
- The red knife has its blade extended to the edge of the handle, putting the hand at risk of injury.
#3. Solutionelle Ceramic Knife Set, 2pc + Sheaths - Chef and Paring Knives with Black Mirror Finish Blades
Feel like a pro with this elegant set of ceramic knives. Aside from its highly durable and thicker spine blade, it has an ergonomic, mirror finish design that makes it look professional and beautiful. It also comes in a very presentable box so you can purchase it as a gift to someone special. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty, making it a risk-free investment for your family.
- The blades are ultra sharp and made with thicker spines, making it sturdier than other ceramic knives.
- Stain, rust, and bacteria free blades make it safe for you and your family.
- The handles are ergonomically designed for more efficient and easier cut with less fatigue.
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- There is nothing to dislike about this product.
#4. Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution 3-Piece Ceramic Knife Set (Includes 6-inch Chef's Knife, 5-inch Micro Serrated Knife, and 3-inch Paring Knife)
Another great creation from Kyocera, this knife set features three ultra-sharp knives; a 6-inch chef knife, a 5-inch serrated knife, and a 3-inch paring knife. Maximize your kitchen experience with rust-free, stain-free, and nonreactive Zirconia Z206 blade which is exclusive with Kyocera. It comes with a lifetime warranty so this is virtually a risk-free purchase.
- The blades are made of the Kyocera exclusive Zirconia Z206 of Japan that has superior edge retention and durability.
- ABS plastic handles are lightweight, durable, and ergonomically designed for easier slicing.
- The lifetime warranty ensures that any issues will be covered and knives will be replaced by the company.
- Although the handles are lightweight and designed for easier use, it tends to be harder to control when used for more challenging tasks such as cutting through large chunks of boneless meat.
#5. SHAN ZU Ceramic Knife 8’’ Black Zirconium Blade Black Ergonomic Handle Matte Finish Chef Knife Healthy Kitchen Cutlery with Sheath Gift Box
Experience the extreme sharpness of high-grade refined zirconium oxide with this ceramic knife. It is FDA SGS approved, non-PB, nontoxic, and acid resistant, making it safe for you and your family. Avoid injuries and slice with ease with its ergonomically designed handle with a nonslip substance for a more solid grip. It comes in a beautiful gift box, perfect to give as a gift to your loved ones.
- Made of high-tech, refined zirconium oxide, expect razor sharpness and durability with every slice.
- Its ergonomically designed handles are combined with a nonstick substance to ensure perfect grip and control.
- Experience healthy slicing and dicing with its stain free, rust free, and nonreactive blade which prevents toxic and bacteria build-up.
- It comes with a beautiful gift box.
- It delivers its promises perfectly, but it could have been better if it is a set of several knives.
The choice is a tough one between the Solutionelle Ceramic Knife Set and the Shan Zu Ceramic knife. Both are made from high-grade zirconium oxide and have perfectly designed handles. But the Solutionelle knife set has the edge since it consists of two knives and has a limited lifetime warranty that makes it risk-free to spend hard-earned money with.