Celery root may be one of the ugliest vegetables out there but it's a pretty amazing root veggie. Its mild yet interesting taste may surprise you as will how incredibly simple and versatile it is to prepare. It's mild, earthy flavor made it a perfect addition to this simple flat bread pizza. The flavor however is anything but simple! Tart and juicy Granny Smith apples and pungent Gorgonzola cheese slightly melted on top of the hot out of the oven herbed flat bread will have you slowly savouring each bite.
This week over at Sunday Super we are all sharing our favorite root vegetables. While I can honestly say I've never tried celery root before I'm soooo glad I did! It was so much simpler to prepare than I thought and I absolutely love its mild, earthy taste, somewhat similar to a potato.
Poor thing, not very cute is he? Once you can get pass that I promise you will love celery root. Also called celeriac, celery knob and turnip root it tastes somewhat like a cross between celery and parsley and when cooked, has the consistency of a soft potato. It's available at most markets (even though you've probably walked pass it without noticing) from October through April.
Everyone gave this two thumbs up!
Enjoy with an ice cold pale ale for a light dinner or lunch!
As if there's not enough flavor going on, I decided to quick pickle some red onions to sprinkle on top for a bit of crunch on every bite. (Recipe coming soon!)
This flat bread recipe is incredibly easy and only has 5 ingredients and takes 5 minutes to prepare!!
No yeast or rising required making it the perfect last minute pizza dough recipe.
Look how flaky it is!
Celeriac Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza
TIME 20 MINUTES TOTAL SERVES 4
YOU WILL NEED
Recipe for Flat Bread HERE
2-3 small celery roots
2 Granny Smith apples
1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1 teaspoon each dried oregano and thyme (or Herbs de Provence)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
Pre-heat oven to 400F. Cut the ends off of the celery root and discard. trim the skin as you would a potato and discard. Slice into 1/4 inch thick round pieces then quarter pieces. Slice and chop the apple the same way leaving the peel on (for fiber!)
Toss the chopped celery root with the olive oil and herbs. Place on a stone baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes turning once. Put a stone pizza round in the oven to heat up while the celery root cooks. If you don't have one, simple remove the cooked roots from the pan and use the still hot pan to transfer your dough onto. Meanwhile, make your flat bread.
Sprinkle the cooked celery root, chopped apples and Gorgonzola cheese on the still hot flat bread.
See what everyone over at Sunday Supper is sharing for this week's Root Vegetable Round Up!
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chips from Momma's Meals
- Golden Beet Chips with Sea Salt from Sunday Supper Movement
- Roasted Beet Hummus from And She Cooks
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup from Magnolia Days
- Root Vegetable Soup with Herb Croutons from An Appealing Plan
- Waffled Carrot Latkes from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Brunch-n-Bites
- Carrot Cake Waffles from Alida's Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Sweet Potato Biscuit and Sausage Gravy Skillet Bake from The Texan New Yorker
- Bacon-Potato Torte from Tramplingrose
- Beef & Root Vegetable Hand Pastries from Gate to Plate
- Beet, Blue Cheese and Bacon Pizza from Caroline's Cooking
- Beet Pesto from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Celery Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Hearty Stew Hand Pies from The TipToe Fairy
- Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad from The Chef Next Door
- Root Vegetable and Beef Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Borscht from The Crumby Cupcake
- Shepherd's Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes from Life Tastes Good
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Our Good Life
- Turnip Rutabaga and Root Veggie Beef Stew from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Wild Rice Vegetable Bake from Wholistic Woman
- Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan and Garlic from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Beet, Greens and Goat Cheese Gratin from Monica's Table
- Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Browned Butter Braised Baby Turnips from Food Lust People Love
- Caprese Twice Baked Potatoes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Carrot Ribbon and Orange Salad from Pies and Plots
- Celery Root Gratin with Horseradish Cream from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Italian Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Potatoes from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Gogoma Jorim (Korean Soy-braised Sweet Potatoes) from kimchi MOM
- Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots from Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- Jicama Home Fries from Casa de Crews
- Lemon Thyme Au Gratin Potatoes from Vintage Kitty
- Moroccan Harissa Potatoes from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Roasted Root Vegetable Farro from Cooking Chat
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes (with make-ahead tip) from Meal Planning Magic
- Root Vegetable Mash from Feeding Big and more
- Rooty Dauphinoise from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Smashed Potatoes from Taste And See
- Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole from Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Carrots & Potatoes from Sweet Mornings
- Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries from Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apples, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Best Ever Carrot Cake from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Carrot Cookies from The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Carrot Cake from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Iced Beet Cake from Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake from Real Food Real Deals