Mother's Day always floods me with memories of my children when they were itty bitty little people. The baby belly laughs, the chubs, the first steps, the sleepless nights, the onesies, the endless diaper changes, the excessive worrying, the obsessive love, the pureed baby food covering every inch of their bodies except for their tummies. Also, I can't help but to sit back and appreciate the wondrous, extraordinarily unique person's they are growing into. Each one of them completing my life in ways I never imagined. Ever.
I am Blessed. Grateful. Humbled. Enlightened. Dumbfounded. Amazed. and Engulfed in love.
Every Single Day. I am eternally grateful to be a mother. And yes, I've experienced teenager-hood.
I am also blessed with a wonderful husband. A husband who gets up early on Mother's Day because he knows I'm NOT a morning person so he 'helps the kiddos' make me breakfast in bed. This is my favorite day of the year. Seriously. Sleeping in, undisturbed and waking at the crack of noon to a hot, healthy breakfast in bed coffee and all.
This year however, I decided to take Mother's Day
Breakfast Brunch in Bed up a notch from my usual favorite, Veggie Omelet. Of course this meant making it ahead of time the night before but I'm totally happy with that.
Smoked Nova Scotia Salmon happens to be one of my, no, my very favorite things. Ever. Lox and an Everything Bagel with Capers, Cream Cheese and Red Onion would be my choice food to spend my very last days with. With coffee. Obviously.
Fancy it up just a bit in Quiche form for Mother's Day and this is my choice brunch/lunch/leftover dinner.
Smoked Salmon and Shaved Asparagus Gruyere Quiche with a Pine Nut Crust
Thanks for the recipe mom!
TIME 60 MINUTES SERVES 6
1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, cut up
1/4 cup ice water
1 c pine nuts, chopped
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1large shallot, chopped
1-1/2 cups milk
6 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
6 ounces smoked Nova Scotia Salmon, roughly chopped
1 bunch asparagus, shaved (or chopped)
Blend all ingredients in mixing bowl with whisk. Gather into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 13 minutes. Roll out between two pieces of plastic wrap. Place in greased pie plate and flute edges. Bake 450 degrees F. 5 minutes.
Put grated cheese in bottom of cooled pie shell.
Sauté shallot in butter, 3 minutes until soft. Put in pie shell on top of grated cheese.
combine flour with spices. Whisk in milk, a little at a time, until blended well. Whisk eggs in another bowl, then add to milk mixture. Pour into pie shell on top of onions and cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees F. 40-45 minutes until center is set.
What are your favorite memories as a mother or of your mother?
Sunday Supper Bloggers are sharing their favorite Mother's Day treats today. Make sure you visit each one for some wonderful new recipes from brunch to dessert. A huge thanks to Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla for hosting this weeks Sunday Supper!
Starters and Salads
- Cheese Bread by Ninja Baker
- Classic Basil Pesto Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Fennel and Radish Citrus Salad by Tasting Page
- Healthy Ham Salad Minis by Momma's Meals
- Pate with Spiced Pears by The Joyful Foodie
- Pesto Pasta Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Super Sunny Dutch Oven Sourdough by What Smells So Good?
- Ginger Shandy by Nosh My Way
- La Vie en Rose by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Momma's Mimosaby Our Good Life
- Blackberry Almond Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by The Crumby Cupcake
- Broccoli and Cheddar Frittata with Roasted Tomatoes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Coriander Salmon with Capered Green Beans by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Chicken Tajine with Prunes and Almonds by The Petit Gourmet
- Dal Makhani by Sustainable Dad
- Dutch Baby Pancake by Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs and Ramps in Puff Pastry by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mimosa Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mushroom and Manchego Filled Crepes by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad by Casa de Crews
- Smoked Salmon & Shaved Asparagus Gruyere Quiche with a Pine Nut Crust by Simply Healthy Family
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.