April is all about celebrating the great outdoors in all of Mother Nature's glory. The sun is finally able to break through the clouds and warm your cheeks, much in need of a rosy glow. The breeze is still cool and playful and glorious flowers are popping up everywhere, even here in the middle of the desert. You just can't help yourself but to soak in as much of it as you possibly can, chores and 'To Do Lists' be damned.
April 22nd is Earth Day and April 23rd is National Picnic Day so the creative folks at Sunday Supper are sharing their favorite spring recipes to enjoy while picnicking in the great outdoors.
I came up with my all time favorite picnic food, coleslaw. I make it a few different ways depending on my mood and what the main dish will be but stick to the same basic sweet and tart yogurt sauce.
This time I used thinly shaved baby Brussels sprouts instead of cabbage and diced gala apples and golden raisins to naturally sweeten up along with just a touch of local, desert honey. A small handful of shaved fennel really made this side dish the main attraction and had everyone slowly enjoying each and every bite.
TIME 10 MINUTES SERVES 6
2 cups shaved Brussels Sprouts
1-2 small gala (or similar) apples, diced
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup quartered and thinly sliced fennel bulb
1/2 cup julienned carrots
1 cup Greek yogurt (you want the thick, creaminess)
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons Dutch poppy seeds
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine. Chill in an airtight container. Can be made up to 3 days ahead.
Check out all of these other great picnicking foods, treats and drinks! Make sure you Pin this list for future reference.
- Caprese Skewers by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa with Southwest Chipotle Dipping Chips by Momma's Meals
- French Onion Dip, with Greek Yogurt by Casa de Crews
- Heart Shaped Pretzels with Pink Salt by Dandelion Greens
- Mediterranean Spiced Hummus by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pepperoni Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Salad Skewers by annaDishes
- Blackberry Lemonade by The Redhead Baker
- Blueberry Mojito Mocktails by NeighborFood
- Grandma's Stuff by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Minty Cardinal Punch by Food Lust People Love
- Pineapple Ginger Lemonade Spiked with Turmeric by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Sangria Punch by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Lemonade by Noshing With The Nolands
- Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Boneless Chicken Wings by Nosh My Way
- Burger Ice Cream by Brunch with Joy
- Chicken Salad Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Southern Style Chicken Salad by Recipe for Perfection
- Spanish tortilla by Caroline's Cooking
- Broccoli & Tomato Pasta Salad by Flour On My Face
- Buffalo Macaroni Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Couscous Veggie Salad by Cooking Chat
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Granola Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Greek Style Asparagus Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- No Mayo Slaw with Poppyseed Dressing by Palatable Pastime
- Spiralized Beet and Goat Cheese Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Sweet and Tangy Green Apple Slaw by Simply Healthy Family
- Uncle Dave's Potato Salad by Runner's Tales
- Barley and Rice Salad by Family Foodie
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Dried Cranberries by Food Done Light
- Layered Mason Jar Pasta Salad for Two by The Weekend Gourmet
- Nicoise Salad by Gaila - The Petit Gourmet
- Smoked Turkey Salad by Our Good Life
- Spinach Salad with Apples & Pecans in an Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette by Carrie's Experimental Kitchen
- Spring Couscous Primavera by No Spoon Necessary
- Strawberry Fool by Cookin' Mimi
- Bacon-Bulleit Brownies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Coca Cola Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Earth Day Cupcakes by Savory Experiments
- Gluten Free Cookie Bars by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Lime Pound Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Lemon Yuzu Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Lemon Chess Pies by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- No-Bake Cookie Butter Chex Mix Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Peanut Butter Bars by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peanut Butter Carob Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sourdough Chunk Cookies by What Smells So Good?
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.