These lightly sweetened coconut, oat and almond crispies are dolled up with fresh berries and fun Spring shapes. While the weather gets a bit warmer and we start pulling out our tank tops and shorts these little naturally sweetened and gluten free cookies are perfect for a guilt free sweet tooth emergency.
The first day of Spring was on March 20th and has been anticipated by most of us all over the United States. Here in Arizona we have very mild winters but I still look forward to the warmer air, bluer skies and most of all the Spring showers!
It rains here so rarely that the Spring rains are very special here in Phoenix. They bring with them miles of gorgeous wild flowers only seen here in the South West and cover the usual arid mountains with a blanket of purples, crimson reds, deep oranges and gorgeous yellows. Hiking is a favorite of ours and by most of us living here in The Valley of the Sun. The fresh, clean smell of the desert after several short Spring rain showers brings out hoards of happy people to enjoy the true beauty of the desert.
I have to say, fresh berries are one of the things I look forward to almost as much as wild flowers come Spring. What are your favorite warmer weather treats?
TIME 30 MINUTES YIELDS 15-18 COOKIES
2/3 cups almond flour (unbleached flour can be subbed)
2/3 cups whole grain oats
2/3 cup grated, unsweetened coconut, plus more for sprinkling
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup palm sugar (Organic, raw sugar cane) OR 1/3 cup Monk fruit in the raw
1/3 cup melted butter (use real butter)
2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 cup mixed berries such as blackberries, raspberries, strawberries or blueberries.
Putting it All Together
Preheat oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, coconut, almonds and sugar. Set aside. In a microwave safe small bowl, melt the butter. Stir in honey or maple syrup. Set aside. In a small bowl or cup combine baking soda with boiling water and then add to the butter mixture. Mix wet ingredients with dry ones, stir until well combined.
Press the batter onto the prepared baking sheet, about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with grated coconut. Bake for 15-20 minutes until just lightly browned. Carefully, remove from oven and cut into squares or use cute Spring cookie cutters and top with mixed berries randomly or to create cute designs. Turn the oven OFF and return the cookies into the oven let sit for another 10 minutes to crisp up.
Remove from oven and let them sit for at least 10 minutes undisturbed. Transfer to a cooling rack.
These would make a cute Spring gift basket for someone!
A huge thanks to Foodie Stuntman at Crazy Foodie Stunts and also Valerie at Lifestyle Food Artistry for Hosting this weeks fabulous Spring Fling Sunday Supper!
Make sure to check out all of the fabulous Spring spirited recipes from our Sunday Supper Team!
- Easter Egg Smoothie by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Home-made Limoncello by Manu's Menu
- Meyer Lemon Rosemary Martini by The Redhead Baker
- Asparagus and Roasted Garlic Hummus by Palatable Pastime
- Baked Lemon and Goat Cheese Dip by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cauliflower Salad by Wallflour Girl
- Green Asparagus Soup with Seared Scallops by An Appealing Plan
- Panzanella Primavera by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Roasted Baby Artichokes with Lemon Garlic Dipping Sauce by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Salmon Berry and Almond Salad with Honey Lemon Dressing by Family Foodie
- Skillet Spinach Artichoke Dip by Life Tastes Good
- Asparagus Gribiche by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Early Peas with Pearl Onions in Cream by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Mustard Vinaigrette by Food Done Light
- Sauteed Artichokes & Potatoes by Carrie's Experimental Kitchen
- Spring Green Rice by Magnolia Days
- Venetian Risi e Bisi by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Artichoke Pesto Pasta by PancakeWarriors
- Caramelized Onion Tarts with Poached Eggs by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Crispy Honey Chicken Spring Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Early Spring Risotto by Cooking Chat
- Honey Lemon Shrimp by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Irish Lamb Stew by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon Spaghetti by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Pasta with Spring Herbs by MealDiva
- Pea & Chèvre Souffle by FoodieTots
- Quiche Florentine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Lamb Chops, Fontina Cheese Polenta with Asparagus and Mushrooms by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Root Vegetable Risotto by Momma's Meals
- Spring Vegetable Risotto by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Salmon and Strawberry Spinach Salad with a Kentucky Maple Vinaigrette by Dandelion Greens
- Tilapia with Classic Pesto by Whole Food | Real Families
- Veal Stew with Spring Greens by The Texan New Yorker
- Berry Shortcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blueberry Coconut Macaroons by Pies and Plots
- Blueberry Rhubarb Muffins by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Cookies by Noshing With The Nolands
- Girl Scout Lemonades Lemon Pie by Our Good Life
- Gluten Free Healthy Hummingbird Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Meringue Pie by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Coconut Poke Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Matcha Strawberry Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Pretzels, Peanut Butter, and Beer Cake Recipe by Recipe for Perfection
- Sticky Carrot Squares by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Muffins by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Three Berry Coconut Crispies by Simply Healthy Family
- Palm Sunday Easter Bread by Love and Confections
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.