I had all intentions of writing a mushy gushy, what a great guy my husband is post for Father's Day. That is until I calmly excused myself from the dinner table and stated that I needed to make sure my Sunday Suppers Father's Day post was up to par and ready to post and said dear husband stated, "You still need to finish it? What have you been doing in there all afternoon?" The nerve.
I suppose I'll forgive him (shhh, don't tell him that ;) seeing as that he's a pretty amazing guy and an even more amazing dad to our 4 rug rats (teenager included). I'll skip all the mushy gushy and just post 2 of my favorite pictures/moments of my love being the wonderful father that he is.
Daddy's little girl. Period. With 3 older brothers, this little girl is no short of spoiled. And while I may spoil her with an extra pair of shoes (or 3) and the all too necessary accessories every 4 year old needs, her daddy spoils her rotten with every last bit of his adoring affection and attention.
I mentioned those 3 older brothers right? Well, here they are in all of their glory. Amen. (roll of the eyes as exaggerated as possible). This is how we do Christmas at our house. Classy huh? Nonetheless, boys have some crazy, deeply embedded and apparently unbreakable need to roll around on the floor and wrestle with each other that I will never, ever, ever understand. Which is why I'm glad they have a father who is every bit as
My poor couch.....
P.S. This all started because cocky teenager below (not so difficultly) provoked a contest to see who was more awesome...... in boy standards. *sigh
So why did I choose these Red Chile Chicken Tacos for Father's Day? Well, this is the very first meal that I made for my sweetie when we were dating 13 years ago and I'm pretty sure it's why he asked me to marry him. All I know is he came over for dinner, devoured about a dozen (seriously) of these tacos, a few cold Corona's and the next day, from out of town with his buddies, I received a dozen of the most gorgeous long stem roses I've ever seen and a sweet love note (tacos mentioned).
Men. If you want to win them over, its their stomachs you must appease.
I'm telling you, this is my secret, signature recipe. Quite honestly, it should have been the very first recipe I posted here on Simply Healthy Family seeing as that I was asked often by friends and family for the recipe and got tired of jotting it down and even secretly making it for a girlfriend of mine for her fiancé and passing it off as her own (and she's Hispanic! :)
These are pretty fabulous not only because they are tasty but because they could not be easier to make. I've waited 13 years to share these with the world and I couldn't be more excited.
A pressure cooker (or a big pot of boiling water)
4 big (boneless, skinless) chicken breasts
2 cans El Pato
3 cups Canola oil for frying tortillas + 3 tablespoons for frying onions and chicken
20 corn tortillas
1 small yellow onion, diced
handful of cilantro
Avocado, shredded cheese and sour cream for garnish
Ice Cold Cerveza
Throw chicken breasts into a hot pressure cooker, secure lid and bring to 2nd ring. Reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes if frozen, 7 if thawed. Let pressure come down by removing from heat. Boil chicken for 15-18 minutes if you don't have a pressure cooker. Remove chicken breasts and place in a Kitchen Aide Mixer (or similar) with the cookie dough attachment. (see my post here on this neat little trick on how to shred chicken in 30 seconds).
Pour chicken broth from pressure cooker into a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the pot with a paper towel and return to medium-high heat. Add 3 tablespoons oil to pot, let heat for a few minutes then add chopped onion. Cook for 5 minutes until golden brown and translucent. Add shredded chicken to pot and toss to coat. Let sit for 5 minutes, toss and cook a few minutes more. Pour in El Pato chile sauce and toss to coat. Cook a few minutes till heated through. Meanwhile, in a small sauce pot, heat 1/2 of the oil over medium high heat. Using tongs and a fork, carefully place tortillas, one at a time into the pot of oil. Using the tong and fork shape them into tacos. Remove from oil when golden brown and crispy. Place on a pile of paper towels to drain. Scoop chicken into taco shells, garnish as you please.
Check out what other bloggers are making their men for Father's Day!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.