Although dried figs are available throughout the year, there is nothing like the unique taste and texture of fresh figs. They have a distinct sweet taste and the little edible seeds are crispy and delicious. California figs are available from June through September; some European varieties are available through autumn.
Figs grow on the Ficus tree (Ficus carica), which is a member of the Mulberry family. They are unique in that they have an opening, called the "ostiole" or "eye," which is not connected to the tree, but which helps the fruit's development by increasing its communication with the environment. Figs range dramatically in color and subtly in texture depending upon the variety. The majority of figs are dried, either by exposure to sunlight or through an artificial process, creating a sweet and nutritious dried fruit that can be enjoyed throughout the year.
A Sweet Way to Lose Weight
A Few Quick Serving Ideas:
- When preparing oatmeal or any other whole grain breakfast porridge, add some dried or fresh figs.
- Poach figs in juice or red wine and serve with yogurt or frozen desserts.
- Add quartered figs to a salad of fennel, arugula and shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Fresh figs stuffed with goat cheese and chopped almonds can be served as hors d'oeuvres or desserts
- Simmer 12 Fresh California Figs, peeled if you like, in 3/4 cup sugar dissolved in 1-1/4 cups water for 10 minutes and serve with cream and toast to make 4 people very happy at breakfast time.
These are some pictures of some beautiful Fig Trees.